Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: How to spin an election result.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    There may be a GE scenario where a no-dealer is elected as Tory leader, who then faces a no-confidence vote from Tory remainer MPs who are then backed by Labour.

With May gone surely her discredited WA must surely go with her, while and WTO v Remain is better than WA v Remain, however much you try to sugar-coat it with words like 'confirmatory', a second referendum with Remain on the ticket does not respect the first result.

Anyway, I think George Galloway was right when he said that Labour was finished. I don't have the exact quote but basically the coalition between metropolitan middle class remainers and traditional working class leavers is over. The party machinery is dominated by the former, who will likely go hard-remain, and Labour won't be getting their traditional (leave) voters back.
    Labour's predicament is if anything worse than that of the tories. A strong tory leader could guarantee the withdrawal of the whip from any Remain rebels, meaning that forcing a GE would almost certainly mean them losing their seats, campaign on the basis of getting out deal-or-no-deal and win back Brexit Party voters. By contrast, whichever way Labour go, they lose half their vote.

A GE forced by a no-confidence vote is very far from being a guarantee of a Corbyn government.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Labour's predicament is if anything worse than that of the tories. A strong tory leader could guarantee the withdrawal of the whip from any Remain rebels, meaning that forcing a GE would almost certainly mean them losing their seats, campaign on the basis of getting out deal-or-no-deal and win back Brexit Party voters. By contrast, whichever way Labour go, they lose half their vote.

A GE forced by a no-confidence vote is very far from being a guarantee of a Corbyn government.
    It doesn't have to be a guarantee of a Corbyn government to scare me, even a small chance is too much. And despite your scenario, I still can't see a GE anytime soon.

And no matter how strong the Tory leader, I think the MPs will be terrified of No Deal blowing up the economy - even in the short term - and them being held accountable. Unless of course there was a referendum that made it clear that this was the desire of the people.

That is not the case now and only a referendum could clear it up outside of a GE.