Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: the mood at the club seems a happy one (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I love the institution as well because it is a family thing for me, right back to to the turn of the last century. Four generations of my family on both sides stood on the terraces at Highbury so I was handed the club as a life long article of faith, instead of a religion.

It isnt like that for everyone. Doesnt mean I am more passionate or more devoted than others- it just means something a bit different.

To someone like Monty it probably does seem a bit weird. I suppose it is, in a way.
    Oh, I agree. My grandad may have had season tickets since the 30s or 40s, but I stopped going perhaps 6 years ago. So any red member is a better fan than I.

But I just thought most people got the fandom passed down and hence they loved the institution before they had seen any players.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I love the institution as well because it is a family thing for me, right back to to the turn of the last century. Four generations of my family on both sides stood on the terraces at Highbury so I was handed the club as a life long article of faith, instead of a religion.

It isnt like that for everyone. Doesnt mean I am more passionate or more devoted than others- it just means something a bit different.

To someone like Monty it probably does seem a bit weird. I suppose it is, in a way.
    Arsenal's in my family too. Dad and grandad grew up in the shadows of Highbury, yada yada.

The institution is of course what I love, but it's individuals who embody the institution and take on its history and values. So my loyalty is to them, rather than the abstract concept of an institution.

Loyalty to the individual is the only meaningful form of loyalty that can exist in football, and is ultimately why my position on this is more ethically, intellectually and spiritually pure than yours.
    Last edited by Monty92; 07-31-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I would love him to succeed. I just don't think the Septic will cough up enough for us ever to again.

Look what the Scousers spent. Look when GG came behind sperz. DB10 and Platt. That's what this squad needed in addition to these signings. But the yank's too tight. And if Rambo goes, we're not really much stronger than we were in Feb when Kos was fit.

I would love an AW type miracle. I just thing the Banner Chavs brigade went for the wrong target. Yes, AW was going senile, but it's the yank. He's signed off on that gree shirt without a red badge. Hope he fücking dies.
    Yeah, ****ing yank only letting us spend £270m in the last two years. What a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Arsenal's in my family too. Dad and grandad grew up in the shadows of Highbury, yada yada.

The institution is of course what I love, but it's individuals who embody the institution and take on its history and values. So my loyalty is to them, rather than the abstract concept of an institution.

Loyalty to the individual is the only meaningful form of loyalty that can exist in football, and is ultimately why my position on this is more ethically, intellectually and spiritually pure than yours.
    I thought it might be :****er:

If your beloved wife - flawed though she may have been - was murdered and you were forced to marry some random bird who can't even pronounce the word "explaaaaaain", would your heart be in the marriage?
    While after 22 years She still couldn't pronounce the words "leeeetle beeet".

My love of Arsenal is predicated on the individuals of whom it is composed. I don't love the institution - that would be weird.
    But loving the institution is exactly how football fandom works.

Not wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    But loving the institution is exactly how football fandom works.

Not wierd.
    He’s drunk on the blood of Christian babies, that lad.

Ash "While after 22 years She still couldn't pronounce the words "leeeetle beeet"."

he could never get the hang of 'comfortable' either

"Comm-four-table"
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    Ash "While after 22 years She still couldn't pronounce the words "leeeetle beeet"."

"Comm-four-table"
    He’s not dead, s.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post

"Comm-four-table"
    I think that if anything, his English got worse in the 22 years he spent here. I thought there was something rather endearing about that.