Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ooooh, well done Arsene

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Usually a stretcher was called for (in the early days, anyway)
    Ah, yes. But that was pre-1990. A strange and different world in which goalkeepers could pick up back passes and you virtually had to sever someone's limb to get a straight red card.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I completely bottled that shootout and went out for a walk. I found out we'd won when my phone went mental.
    I was on a flight to New York and landed just after the final penalty. Quite a relief to have missed the entire match

Ah, yes. But that was pre-1990. A strange and different world in which goalkeepers could pick up back passes and you virtually had to sever someone's limb to get a straight red card.
    Still strange to watch old matches and keepers pick up backpasses. That, the red card for professional foul and banning tackling from behind - three massive rule changes in a couple of years, all for the better. And all they do nowadays is tinker with the offside rule every ****ing season

It seems weird looking back that Sheffield Wednesday were once a serious team.
    You forget some of the teams that have been in the Premier League. Swindon and Coventry are now in L2!

Barnsley, even. Now there was a great goal by Dennis at their place.

Speaking of Barnsley...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Still strange to watch old matches and keepers pick up backpasses. That, the red card for professional foul and banning tackling from behind - three massive rule changes in a couple of years, all for the better. And all they do nowadays is tinker with the offside rule every ****ing season
    They were all introduced at the 1990 World Cup, as I recall. Given how fundamental they were, it's a miracle the thing didn't descend into farce, really. Evidence that, if you make the penalties harsh enough for failing to do so, footballers can adapt very quickly to any rule change.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    You forget some of the teams that have been in the Premier League. Swindon and Coventry are now in L2!

Barnsley, even. Now there was a great goal by Dennis at their place.

Speaking of Barnsley...

It still seems weird to me that Coventry aren't in the top flight anymore. They were there for decades, ffs.

It still seems weird to me that Coventry aren't in the top flight anymore. They were there for decades, ffs.
    Blackburn in league One is strange. Wolves will be back next year - that will be comforting. As much as I like them Bournemouth in the Premier League is wrong

Blackburn in league One is strange. Wolves will be back next year - that will be comforting. As much as I like them Bournemouth in the Premier League is wrong
    Mind you, in the heyday of Fat Sam, who'd have suggested that Bolton would have been out of the top flight this long?

Ah yes - we were so terrified by that "tunnel" thing we went out and scored after 8 minutes. In fact, it was the petrified Vieira who scored. We were two-one up at half time, when fortunately Arsene must have reminded the team that they were actually ****ting themselves and could they do the decent thing and throw the game. That defeat was ALL about the tunnel and nothing to do with that useless **** Almunia (Peter - this is the bit where you should be extremely ashamed of yourself)
    Quite correct, at the point we went 2-1 up early in the 2nd half we had controlled the game comfortably and I was certain we were going to win and win easily and after what had happened at their place it was going to help to have a bit of vindication.

At that point Lauren decided to dive in on Giggs for no sensible reason and Ronaldo ended up with a free run on goal. Shortly thereafter, that idiot Almunia decided to leave his line and chase Giggs while Lauren couldn't be bothered tracking Ronaldo's run and the next thing you know we're a goal down.

I said bad things that day. Many, many, many bad things. The Irish bloke behind the bar in NY told me to calm down and reminded me that 'c*nt' was rarely used openly in the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Quite correct, at the point we went 2-1 up early in the 2nd half we had controlled the game comfortably and I was certain we were going to win and win easily and after what had happened at their place it was going to help to have a bit of vindication.

At that point Lauren decided to dive in on Giggs for no sensible reason and Ronaldo ended up with a free run on goal. Shortly thereafter, that idiot Almunia decided to leave his line and chase Giggs while Lauren couldn't be bothered tracking Ronaldo's run and the next thing you know we're a goal down.

I said bad things that day. Many, many, many bad things. The Irish bloke behind the bar in NY told me to calm down and reminded me that 'c*nt' was rarely used openly in the United States of America.
    I find it hard to believe you swore, WES