Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So it seems our chums in the ever-democratic EU are threatening to suspend Poland's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    'As democratic as it can be' isn't good enough, I'm afraid.

And in answer to your second question: Yes. Absolutely. I really struggle to see how anyone can feel differently.

A cosy tyranny will always remain a tyranny, but may not remain cosy. Ask the Greeks.
    Funny, never really seen you as an idealist, Burnley.

And my answer would be absolutely not. I think we're less democratic than you make us out to be and the EU more than you want to believe. And at the end of the day I want a nice life, I could give a rat's ass about political philosophy which I may or may not be exposed to. And in my lifetime, being part of the EU is far less risky than leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Funny, never really seen you as an idealist, Burnley.

And my answer would be absolutely not. I think we're less democratic than you make us out to be and the EU more than you want to believe. And at the end of the day I want a nice life, I could give a rat's ass about political philosophy which I may or may not be exposed to. And in my lifetime, being part of the EU is far less risky than leaving.
    Good Lord. A german saying this in 1936 would probably have regretted it by 1945.

By the way, your hanging preposition is perfectly revolting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Good Lord. A german saying this in 1936 would probably have regretted it by 1945.

I understand one or two of them still regret it even now.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

When I was in school, Charles, boys did maths, girls were good at grammar.

The EU and Hitler, eh? You really have gone proper mental in your old age.

I am afraid your 'school' on the tundra didn't serve you as well as it might have, wes.

Not caring about democracy seems to me a dangerous attitude, for without democracy, something nasty tends to sneak in.

As I've just said, I'm a Europhile, but the current EU has become effectively the Mitteleuropa customs union that Kaiser Wilhelm invisgased in 1914 just after the war had started when he thought Germany were about to win a quick victory.

"Germany would create a Mitteleuropa economic association, ostensibly egalitarian but actually dominated by Germany. Members would include the new buffer states."

That is what's basically happened, isn't it? I still want to stay in the EU and reform it from the inside, as the future is continental, no longer the C19th concept of modern nation states.

And Germany never intended to use the EU to create the German dominated customs union that Wilhelm invisaged. But this has happened for various reasons. The econ power of Germany, the Euro and the crash, the fact that they have vastly lower real wage growth than every other OECD member, impoverishing the southern nations keeps the Euro far lower than a DM would be helping German exports etc etc.

As with the refugees, Merkel can impose her will on other nations who have no way of voting Merkel out. She has the power, but with no accountability. Of course she has the put the interests of her voters first when they are in conflict with the interests of other EU/EZ countries.

There needs to be political, fiscal union, especially for the EZ monetary union states.

But why would Germany do that? Let the poor states vote what to do with German tax revenue? They won't. They have their cake and are eating it with the Euro helping German exports while stoping the South devaluing their way out of the crisis as GB did after the crash.

We should stay in the EU and try to help force these reforms. But I can't justify Merkel telling other nations who can and can't come into their country from outside the EU when these nations have no way of voting her out. The 1914 September Programme has come to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    As I've just said, I'm a Europhile, but the current EU has become effectively the Mitteleuropa customs union that Kaiser Wilhelm invisgased in 1914 just after the war had started when he thought Germany were about to win a quick victory.

"Germany would create a Mitteleuropa economic association, ostensibly egalitarian but actually dominated by Germany. Members would include the new buffer states."

That is what's basically happened, isn't it? I still want to stay in the EU and reform it from the inside, as the future is continental, no longer the C19th concept of modern nation states.

And Germany never intended to use the EU to create the German dominated customs union that Wilhelm invisaged. But this has happened for various reasons. The econ power of Germany, the Euro and the crash, the fact that they have vastly lower real wage growth than every other OECD member, impoverishing the southern nations keeps the Euro far lower than a DM would be helping German exports etc etc.

As with the refugees, Merkel can impose her will on other nations who have no way of voting Merkel out. She has the power, but with no accountability. Of course she has the put the interests of her voters first when they are in conflict with the interests of other EU/EZ countries.

There needs to be political, fiscal union, especially for the EZ monetary union states.

But why would Germany do that? Let the poor states vote what to do with German tax revenue? They won't. They have their cake and are eating it with the Euro helping German exports while stoping the South devaluing their way out of the crisis as GB did after the crash.

We should stay in the EU and try to help force these reforms. But I can't justify Merkel telling other nations who can and can't come into their country from outside the EU when these nations have no way of voting her out. The 1914 September Programme has come to pass.
    Staying in the EU to try to reform it would have done no good at all, I'm afraid.

There is only one thing Germans understand, g. Cold steel. And they don't like it up 'em.

Believe me, the day of reckoning is approaching. We face a Deutschland Erwacht and, once again, only we stand between a continent crushed under the heel of the jackboot. I have but one single concern: who is to be our Churchill? Our King Arthur? Our Elizabeth? Our Fabregas?

It's the Moggman! #moggmentum

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

History demonstrates that Europe can never be safe with a united Germany, I'm afraid. Reunification will prove to have been a disaster for Western Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    History demonstrates that Europe can never be safe with a united Germany, I'm afraid. Reunification will prove to have been a disaster for Western Europe.
    Nonsense. Europe is perfectly safe. It has the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Nonsense. Europe is perfectly safe. It has the EU.
    Yes, there is great strength in unification for Grossdeutschland.

EU.jpg