Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Wolfe gone. For years I thought Bonfire of the Vanities to be an unsurpassable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    A Man in Full - also brilliant. I found Electric Kool Aid Acid test to be a bit dull mind. Possibly because it was more fact than fiction and I'm not convinced Wolfe was as good at that.

Still, very sad he's gone.
    You don't think the foremost champion of The New Journalism was very good at non-fiction?

Righto.

Stick to engineering.

You didn't think Bonfire was a masterpiece? Stick to hammering your bellend in that allotment shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    You didn't think Bonfire was a masterpiece? Stick to hammering your bellend in that allotment shed.
    No. I thought it was yet another self-conscious attempt at 'THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL' and - like most such attempts - overblown, grandiose and with a positively chasmic discrepancy between reach and grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No. I thought it was yet another self-conscious attempt at 'THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL' and - like most such attempts - overblown, grandiose and with a positively chasmic discrepancy between reach and grasp.
    'fess up - you didn't even read the ****ing thing.

'fess up - you didn't even read the ****ing thing.
    It's hack work, h. Full of ciphers masquerading as characters and metaphors masquerading as plot. Go and read Tolstoy.

It's hack work, h. Full of ciphers masquerading as characters and metaphors masquerading as plot. Go and read Tolstoy.
    Balls to Tolstoy. Du Maurier's where it's at. The one with the French pirate is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Balls to Tolstoy. Du Maurier's where it's at. The one with the French pirate is the best.
    She was a good, solid storyteller, certainly. Nothing against her and it could be argued she is unfairly overlooked.

Pretentious nonsense, if you don't mind me saying so, Burney. I prefer novels written in my lifetime as I can - unsurprisingly - relate to them more easily. In the same way that Sympathy for the Devil means more to me than Beethoven's 5th.

People who rave about novels/music from days gone by frequently do so because they think it makes them look intelligent and sophisticated.

Not that I'm accusing you of this, of course.

Mercy me, is this the bitter invective of envy? Are you a failed novelist b?

Mercy me, is this the bitter invective of envy? Are you a failed novelist b?
    Who isn't a failed novelist, h? I think we've all felt, at one time or another, as if we had a book within us, if only we could release it...