Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: So it seems our chums in the ever-democratic EU are threatening to suspend Poland's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    That's like accusing the Tories of not being democratic because they insist MPs vote along party lines. If you want to be in the club, you need to be part of the club.
    That would have rather more validity had the EU not studiously ignored it when the previous, pro-EU Polish government undertook similar measures.

Besides, it's the optics that are the real problem here. They are now being seen to be overtly interfering in the internal governance of a member country because they don't like its government's policies. This sort of naked attack on democratic sovereignty makes explicit to people just what an appalling shítshow the EU really is, which can only be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That would have rather more validity had the EU not studiously ignored it when the previous, pro-EU Polish government undertook similar measures.

Besides, it's the optics that are the real problem here. They are now being seen to be overtly interfering in the internal governance of a member country because they don't like its government's policies. This sort of naked attack on democratic sovereignty makes explicit to people just what an appalling shítshow the EU really is, which can only be good.
    Not knowing what the specific issue is that you are referring to, I'm guessing you could rephrase what you posted as 'they have expressed concern that an EU member state is proposing something that is inconsistent with the state's EU membership'.

And they have every right to do that, as I said, if you want to be in the club. I notice the EU expressing concern about the threat to democracy in Turkey and the impact that would have on their attempt to join the EU. I don't hear many criticising them for that 'interference'.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Not knowing what the specific issue is that you are referring to, I'm guessing you could rephrase what you posted as 'they have expressed concern that an EU member state is proposing something that is inconsistent with the state's EU membership'.

And they have every right to do that, as I said, if you want to be in the club. I notice the EU expressing concern about the threat to democracy in Turkey and the impact that would have on their attempt to join the EU. I don't hear many criticising them for that 'interference'.
    No, they have said they are considering invoking Article 7 for the first time in their history to suspend Poland's voting rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No, they have said they are considering invoking Article 7 for the first time in their history to suspend Poland's voting rights.
    Why? What is it that Poland are doing or thinking of doing that the EU don't like? And will there be a vote of some kind to decide whether or not to invoke Article 7?