Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hang abouts! If we win our two games in hand on Liverpool we're back in the top four

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm referring to the fact that you appear to be crowing about the possibility of us - maybe, if everything goes to plan - scraping into the top four. That's not a good look.
    I am not crowing about that, though there is reason to crow.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I am not crowing about that, though there is reason to crow.
    Why is there reason to crow? And please don't say because we may not be quite as bad as some have made out.

Why is there reason to crow? And please don't say because we may not be quite as bad as some have made out.
    Because we have a chance to finish in the top four for the 22nd season in a row. This is an undeniably commendable thing that few other cubs can match

Because we have a chance to finish in the top four for the 22nd season in a row. This is an undeniably commendable thing that few other cubs can match
    But - other than in a long-term historical sense - it doesn't represent progress, does it? Indeed, over the course of Wenger's career, it represents the reverse. Clinging onto top four 'status' by our fingernails would hardly be a cause for celebration - that's what we were doing a few seasons ago when we were skint.

But - other than in a long-term historical sense - it doesn't represent progress, does it? Indeed, over the course of Wenger's career, it represents the reverse. Clinging onto top four 'status' by our fingernails would hardly be a cause for celebration - that's what we were doing a few seasons ago when we were skint.
    You can compare it to something like Coventry's run in the First Division/Premier League. Only Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal played in the top flight for everyone of the 34 seasons that they did. Hugely impressive but basically they were just hanging on for years and when they did go down, they were ****ed

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    You can compare it to something like Coventry's run in the First Division/Premier League. Only Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal played in the top flight for everyone of the 34 seasons that they did. Hugely impressive but basically they were just hanging on for years and when they did go down, they were ****ed
    Yes, I sometimes get a bit sad about poor old Coventry's plight. But then I remember that David Burrows played for them and I get over it.

Yes, I sometimes get a bit sad about poor old Coventry's plight. But then I remember that David Burrows played for them and I get over it.
    Christ, I had forgotten about David Burrows - what a ****

Yes, you are right. We have not achieved what we could all progress in recent years. But progress would require us to improve from an already commendable level of achievement and consistency, which is certainly something to celebrate (albeit not with an open top bus parade).

Yes, you are right. We have not achieved what we could all progress in recent years. But progress would require us to improve from an already commendable level of achievement and consistency, which is certainly something to celebrate (albeit not with an open top bus parade).
    But is that not our minimum expectation now? And equally, does that not mean that you are tacitly accepting that, should we fail to achieve it, some very serious questions need to be asked about the management of the team?

But is that not our minimum expectation now? And equally, does that not mean that you are tacitly accepting that, should we fail to achieve it, some very serious questions need to be asked about the management of the team?
    Must we have 'minimum expectations' and 'ask serious questions', though? It all sounds terribly dramatic.

It is, after all, a game.