Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Now I know I'm slightly obsessed by The Guardian, but in this piece, the author

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Perhaps you could be placed in some sort of camp to keep you from spreading your foul sedition, p.

I'm afraid we're definitely going to have to castrate you, though. We can't have your sort reproducing
    To be frank c, I can forgive him his most absurd krypto-marxist perversions but what he should be neutered for is his habit of crow-barring the word narrative into his posts. This revolting affectation has spread like a cancer through the pretentious chatterati of the left and must be ruthlessly eradicated ( I'll bet he uptalks too ).

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    To be frank c, I can forgive him his most absurd krypto-marxist perversions but what he should be neutered for is his habit of crow-barring the word narrative into his posts. This revolting affectation has spread like a cancer through the pretentious chatterati of the left and must be ruthlessly eradicated ( I'll bet he uptalks too ).
    He is ****ing here, you know. You bunch of ****s.

And I shall use whatever words I ****ing like thank you very much, Mr ****ing Language Police.

Uptalks.....this is just ****s language for rising intonation and if you ever accuse me of such a thing I shall seek damages, and NOT through the courts.

You have been warned?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He is ****ing here, you know. You bunch of ****s.

And I shall use whatever words I ****ing like thank you very much, Mr ****ing Language Police.

Uptalks.....this is just ****s language for rising intonation and if you ever accuse me of such a thing I shall seek damages, and NOT through the courts.

You have been warned?
    To be honest, all linguistic bets are off as far as I am concerned since b used the phrase 'it speaks to' without shame.

I thought he was one of the good guys.

To be honest, all linguistic bets are off as far as I am concerned since b used the phrase 'it speaks to' without shame.

And actually called p a poltroon revealing he had entirely misunderstood the meaning of that word

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    And actually called p a poltroon revealing he had entirely misunderstood the meaning of that word
    It was WES, actually, and in the sense of 'a mean-spirited wretch', it was entirely apt.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It was WES, actually, and in the sense of 'a mean-spirited wretch', it was entirely apt.
    Begging your pardon b. My feeble grasp of language had led me to believe a poltroon was a coward.

( I am employing socratic irony here incidentally )

I dont like 'one of the good guys'.....a ghastly americanism that speaks to their natural tendency to view history as black and white/good and evil/goodies and baddies.

You shouldn't encourage them.

I used it in the poetic context of a thing 'speaking to' something within the soul of man. Such a usage is timeworn and acceptable.

Had I used the phrase in the sense of 'It speaks to a wider corporate culture' or similar, I would indeed be the Charlie Uniform you describe.