Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So it seems our chums in the ever-democratic EU are threatening to suspend Poland's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Its not really like that at all though, is it?
    If the context is 'any time some body has to do something they don't want to it's un-democratic' then yes it is.

I'm always amused when people criticise the EU for not being democratic. Because getting 28 different countries to act as a union and reap the benefits of that union while allowing them to vote on everything and opt out of anything they don't agree with would just be sooooo easy.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    If the context is 'any time some body has to do something they don't want to it's un-democratic' then yes it is.

I'm always amused when people criticise the EU for not being democratic. Because getting 28 different countries to act as a union and reap the benefits of that union while allowing them to vote on everything and opt out of anything they don't agree with would just be sooooo easy.
    You appear to be suggesting that it is as democratic as it can afford to be. I would agree.

People only complain about a lack of democracy when they don't like something. People are ****s.

People only complain about a lack of democracy when they don't like something.
    Well, quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well, quite.
    Glad we have sorted that out. So you admit its the EU you hate, not the fact that its undemocratic.

Principles of democratic government, my arse

You appear to be suggesting that it is as democratic as it can afford to be. I would agree.

People only complain about a lack of democracy when they don't like something. People are ****s.
    Especially if that something is Germans, you'd think?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Right. Just as people attempt to bypass democracy when it suits them too, by calling it "leadership" or something
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

Right. So you concede that it is undemocratic because it cannot be otherwise and function?

That isn't a reason why it isn't undemocratic, it is simply a reason for it being so.

Given which, you'll understand why those of us to whom the principles of democratic government actually matter had no alternative other than to vote Leave?

Glad we've sorted that out.

Right. So you concede that it is undemocratic because it cannot be otherwise and function?

That isn't a reason why it isn't undemocratic, it is simply a reason for it being so.

Given which, you'll understand why those of us to whom the principles of democratic government actually matter had no alternative other than to vote Leave?

The principles of democratic government. What are these, exactly?

The principles of democratic government. What are these, exactly?
    On the most basic level: that those who propose and promulgate our laws are held to account for their actions by the electorate on a regular basis rather than simply being allowed to remain in place in perpetuity.

See Peter's post above, it is more or less as democratic as it can be.

As for leaving, what if it is less democratic than we'd like but ultimately the country still benefits more from being a member? If you were certain that was true would you still vote to leave because of your love of democracy?