Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: First Simon Jenkins article on the importance of doing nothing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Do you wavour between rationalism and faith in any other aspects of your life? Do you ever step outside and find yourself hoping the laws of gravity hold firm and prevent you from floating into the sky?

No you don't. So why wavour when it comes to the existence of a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Why this unreasonable insistence on the absolute? What the fùck business is it of yours if someone occasionally wavers between rationalism and faith? Why must we be one thing or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Do you wavour between rationalism and faith in any other aspects of your life? Do you ever step outside and find yourself hoping the laws of gravity hold firm and prevent you from floating into the sky?

No you don't. So why wavour when it comes to the existence of a Flying Spaghetti Monster?
    You know that flying is a hugely safe form of transport. But you have many times told us how you fear or have feared it. Sir C finds your irrationality in this matter absurd just as you find his talk of agnosticism absurd.

In other words, you are not rational in all things, so why demand that others should be in areas where you profess a rather irksome certitude?

Gravity is a physical law, by the way. There is no physical law stating the non-existence of God.
    Last edited by Burney; 08-18-2017 at 01:36 PM.

You know that flying is a hugely safe form of transport. But you have many times told us how you fear or have feared it. Sir C finds your irrationality in this matter absurd just as you find his talk of agnosticism absurd.

In other words, you are not rational in all things, so why demand that others should be in ?

Gravity is a physical law, by the way. There is no physical law stating the non-existence of God.
    Fear of flying is not irrational. It cant be, because I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Nothing irrational about being afraid of sitting in a thin metal tube thousands of feet in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Nothing irrational about being afraid of sitting in a thin metal tube thousands of feet in the air.
    I fear delays, the lack of a fag, the stench of the hairy ******* next to me....to be honest the thing plunging to the ground and exploding would probably come as a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Fear of flying is certainly irrational. Fear of crashing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Fear of flying is certainly irrational. Fear of crashing, not so much.
    Speaking as an unhappy flier, I'm not afraid of crashing. That's just death. It's the actual business of flying that I hate.

Speaking as an unhappy flier, I'm not afraid of crashing. That's just death. It's the actual business of flying that I hate.
    Precisely. Still silly though- worrying is using your imagination to create something that you don't want.

That's the sort of new age rainbow crap that Monty probably likes.

Hatred of flying isn't fear of flying, is it? Back in the day I used to hate the queues and the cramped conditions, but I didn't fear the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Hatred of flying isn't fear of flying, is it? Back in the day I used to hate the queues and the cramped conditions, but I didn't fear the experience.
    No, you don't understand. For the early portions of most flights, my heartrate is through the roof and I'm having to control my breathing so as not to hyperventilate. It's an out-and-out fear response. I get it under control with the help of my first gin and tonic, but it's a very real fear thing. But the fear is not about crashing, it's a hind-brain response to a fùcking weird environment that my conscious, rational mind struggles to control.

It's a bugger, really.