Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Cook gone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    England's all tie leading run scorer in test cricket, no? Miles ahead of Boycott presumably?
    Boycott played 108 tests. Cook has played 160.

Boycott averaged 47.72. Cook averages 44.8.

Cook's been a fine player for England, but he's not in Boycott's league.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Boycott played 108 tests. Cook has played 160.

Boycott averaged 47.72. Cook averages 44.8.

Cook's been a fine player for England, but he's not in Boycott's league.
    Uncovered pitches.....

He is in his league. Just not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Uncovered pitches.....

He is in his league. Just not as good.
    Surely they must keep track of how quickly you score i.e. runs scored per balls faced? Be curious to see how Geoffrey did there. Mind you, one of you experts will tell me something about how cricket has changed and Boycott batted slowly because the game demanded it back then etc etc etc

Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Surely they must keep track of how quickly you score i.e. runs scored per balls faced? Be curious to see how Geoffrey did there. Mind you, one of you experts will tell me something about how cricket has changed and Boycott batted slowly because the game demanded it back then etc etc etc

Or something.
    Boycott scored at around 34 runs per hundred balls. He was at once the dullest, most excruciating thing in sport, and a legend.

Boycott also played in an era where all our opponents took test cricket seriously. West Indies, for example, are a shadow of the force they were in the 70s and 80s. Nowadays we play the likes of Bangladesh, and pf the so-called 'stronger' nations, only Australia and to an extent South Africa really bother to turn up when they play away from home.

Comparing Cook's record to Boycott's, or my boyhood hero John Edrich's (test average 43.5), is similar to comparing Rooney's England goalscoring record to Bobby Charlton's which he overtook.

More matches, against weaker teams.
    Last edited by Yesterday Once More; 09-03-2018 at 05:13 PM.