Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Discussing my drinking habits with my doctor:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Since I neither smoke nor take drugs, it would appear that your knowledge of my fúckedness or otherwise is as profound as your understanding of la joga bonito.
    You've quit the fags?

I assumed you were kidding.

The other factors were size, exercise and balanced diet. Basically if you are a larger male, exercise regularly and have a balanced diet the 14 units or even 21 units is nonsense. I described something like a 40-50 unit consumption per week and his feedback was that as I exercised regularly, did not take drugs or smoke, had a balanced diet and was 6' 3" and 15 stone that there was no issue.

So I now consume about 80 units a week.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    You've quit the fags?

I assumed you were kidding.

The other factors were size, exercise and balanced diet. Basically if you are a larger male, exercise regularly and have a balanced diet the 14 units or even 21 units is nonsense. I described something like a 40-50 unit consumption per week and his feedback was that as I exercised regularly, did not take drugs or smoke, had a balanced diet and was 6' 3" and 15 stone that there was no issue.

So I now consume about 80 units a week.
    15 stone! 15 stone! They're going to have to remove a wall to get the crane in to hoist out your corpse, man!

15 stone! 15 stone! They're going to have to remove a wall to get the crane in to hoist out your corpse, man!
    Are you bodyshaming WES?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Are you bodyshaming WES?
    God forbid. But 15 stone! That's getting on for 100 kg. We're in sumo wrestler territory here.

I hope his heart is good and strong

God forbid. But 15 stone! That's getting on for 100 kg. We're in sumo wrestler territory here.

I hope his heart is good and strong
    Well, I work out four times a week and then play hockey on Saturday which gives me a seriously good cardio workout.

And when on the bike and treadmill I monitor my heart rate which rarely goes above 140 even when peddling hard or running at 11.5 km/h.

I'm assuming that means my heart is ok. Mind you these stories about fitness nutters dropping dead of a heart attack are always a bit worrying. There was one recently, chap was the England hockey coach and a fitness addict and he had a heart attack out of nowhere.

At 46 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Well, I work out four times a week and then play hockey on Saturday which gives me a seriously good cardio workout.

And when on the bike and treadmill I monitor my heart rate which rarely goes above 140 even when peddling hard or running at 11.5 km/h.

I'm assuming that means my heart is ok. Mind you these stories about fitness nutters dropping dead of a heart attack are always a bit worrying. There was one recently, chap was the England hockey coach and a fitness addict and he had a heart attack out of nowhere.

At 46 or something.
    As any good actuary will tell you, your best guides to life expectancy are when and how your grandparents/parents died. Diet and exercise help, of course, but the underlying health issues tend to be congenital.

I knew a chap whose father and brother both died of heart attacks in their 40s. Given which, he looked after himself scrupulously, exercised, barely drank and certaily never smoked or took drugs. Despite all this, he had a near-fatal clutcher when he was 48 and is now pretty much treading on eggshells waiting for the next one.

You can't beat genetics, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Burney; 10-11-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    As any good actuary will tell you, your best guides to life expectancy are when and how your grandparents/parents died. Diet and exercise help, of course, but the underlying health issues tend to be congenital.

I knew a chap whose father and brother both died of heart attacks in their 40s. Given which, he looked after himself scrupulously, exercised, barely drank and certaily never smoked or took drugs. Despite all this, he had a near-fatal clutcher when he was 48 and is now pretty much treading on eggshells waiting for the next one.

You can't beat genetics, I'm afraid.
    Ah, now this I like given that my father is still kicking about at 86 and my mother at 82. And my father smoked two packs a day when he was younger and basically never exercised a day in his life. His father passed at 83 and my mother's father at 75 despite being 8 or 9 stone overweight and diabetic.

Genetics gives me confidence Burney, although my blood pressure, love of salty food and drinking make me concerned, if I'm honest.

My body fat is reasonable though, I think. 15% or so as I recall. Given that professional athletes are just under 10% I would have thought that was ok.

I have no desire to be skinny.