Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HRH the DoE retiring from public engagements.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    He has made a tremendous difference to precisely **** all since he left the navy. Served his country selflessly for decades? I am sure we could all manage to unveil the odd plaque here and there if we didn't have to, you know, earn money and feed ourselves and whatnot.

Boycott I can live with, although I would take Michael Vaughan over him.....
    As honorary patron of the Tiger Club he did a great deal to encourage and support aerobatic and formation flying in the 60s and 70s. Without the Tiger Club there would have been no Neil Williams, no Nigel Lamb and no Brendan O'Brien.

So that's your 'point' utterly debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    As honorary patron of the Tiger Club he did a great deal to encourage and support aerobatic and formation flying in the 60s and 70s. Without the Tiger Club there would have been no Neil Williams, no Nigel Lamb and no Brendan O'Brien.

There's no point bickering with such people, old chap. They're just terrible human beings who, in a more enlightened society, would have their heads on spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    There's no point bickering with such people, old chap. They're just terrible human beings who, in a more enlightened society, would have their heads on spikes.
    It is incredibly rude to talk about someone as if they were not there. Bad form....

It is incredibly rude to talk about someone as if they were not there. Bad form....
    Do you mind? I was addressing Sir C.

I stand corrected.

I stand corrected.
    Here he is, in fact, flying a Turbulent. (I subsequently flew that exact aircraft, so I'm now semi-royal.)

dofe.jpg

Here he is, in fact, flying a Turbulent. (I subsequently flew that exact aircraft, so I'm now semi-royal.)

dofe.jpg
    That seems a rather silly little plane. Shouldn't it be bigger than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That seems a rather silly little plane. Shouldn't it be bigger than that?
    It's a death trap, to be honest. It has a VW Beetle engine of around 40 bhp and can barely drag itself into the air. Anything more than a rate 1 turn is highly likely to end up with a dynamic stall/spin and subsequent painful connection with terra firma. I've no idea what they were for, really. It's a sort of Tiger Club tradition; you have to survive an amount of Turb flying to be a real Tiger Club pilot.

Here they are at an air show. Going very, very slowly.

turbs.jpg

60992.1.jpg

Lovely bowler, Neil Williams - didn't realise he could fly a plane as well

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    60992.1.jpg

Lovely bowler, Neil Williams - didn't realise he could fly a plane as well
    He was. I remember him bowling with Cowans for Middlesex and thinking he was seriously rapid. Why did he never break through?