Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I hope all these Tory MPs coming out and backing May turn into

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    What should she have done differently and what do you think the outcome would have been?

Or are you just another gob****e who can only criticize without any realistic alternatives. Like Boris. And Corbyn. That's some nice company you're keeping there.
    She ought to have begun by preparing properly for no deal from the very start. By ruling it out, she gave the EU no incentive whatsoever to negotiate rather than simply dictating terms.
    She ought never to have set out any red lines - least of all over Ireland. This simply told the enemy what her vulnerabilities were and they’ve used them ruthlessly to nail us to the ground.
    Most importantly, however, she ought to have picked a side - naturally the side that won. The attempt to negotiate a deal that satisfies all over a binary issue was utterly doomed from the start and has simply given traitorous remainer scum encouragement to undermine our negotiating position.

She is, in short, a cùnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    She ought to have begun by preparing properly for no deal from the very start. By ruling it out, she gave the EU no incentive whatsoever to negotiate rather than simply dictating terms.
    She ought never to have set out any red lines - least of all over Ireland. This simply told the enemy what her vulnerabilities were and they’ve used them ruthlessly to nail us to the ground.
    Most importantly, however, she ought to have picked a side - naturally the side that won. The attempt to negotiate a deal that satisfies all over a binary issue was utterly doomed from the start and has simply given traitorous remainer scum encouragement to undermine our negotiating position.

She is, in short, a cùnt.
    It was hardly May that ruled out no deal - it was most of Parliament. Not to mention the governor of the B of E and an endless array of business leaders. There was never any chance that the EU wouldn't see through the no deal threat, had she gone in and said 'we're prepared for no deal' the would have said 'go ahead then'. And regardless of her red lines the EU was never going to let Ireland be hammered - as they have said clearly, without a backstop there is no deal.

Nothing you have said makes any clear argument for us getting a deal any different than we have now had we negotiated differently. I have yet to hear anyone come up with one, not Rees-Mogg, not Boris, no one. And when they get pushed on how impossible our negotiating position is they inevitably admit that the only realistic alternative is no deal.

She was in an impossible position and we'll end up where we were always going to end up; Remain or no deal. There was nothing anyone could have done to prevent that. BTW, I consider the Norway option to be Remain, because it really is.

It was hardly May that ruled out no deal - it was most of Parliament. Not to mention the governor of the B of E and an endless array of business leaders. There was never any chance that the EU wouldn't see through the no deal threat, had she gone in and said 'we're prepared for no deal' the would have said 'go ahead then'. And regardless of her red lines the EU was never going to let Ireland be hammered - as they have said clearly, without a backstop there is no deal.

Nothing you have said makes any clear argument for us getting a deal any different than we have now had we negotiated differently. I have yet to hear anyone come up with one, not Rees-Mogg, not Boris, no one. And when they get pushed on how impossible our negotiating position is they inevitably admit that the only realistic alternative is no deal.

She was in an impossible position and we'll end up where we were always going to end up; Remain or no deal. There was nothing anyone could have done to prevent that. BTW, I consider the Norway option to be Remain, because it really is.
    Well May's compromise means that A) I will not have to live in Netherlands/Germany/Ireland to stay with my other half and B) I can import wine from France and Italy without paying import duty.

These are, of course, the important things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well May's compromise means that A) I will not have to live in Netherlands/Germany/Ireland to stay with my other half and B) I can import wine from France and Italy without paying import duty.

These are, of course, the important things.
    Why won't you pay duty from France / Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Why won't you pay duty from France / Italy?
    Because May's deal keeps the GB and NI in the Customs Union.

Okay, fair enough.

I thought the whole point was to leave it.

Okay, fair enough.

We're not allowed to, apparently. Because what we vote for is irrelevant. Apparently.

Okay, fair enough.

Speaking generally, I think the below lists the things we like and dislike as a country.

Customs Union/Free trade/Single market
    Visa-less travel

Dislike

Free movement of people
    Having to give lots of money to the likes of Greece and Ireland
    Being told by Brussels what to do

If her deal were to go through, you mean. And not only does it keep us in the CU while we negotiate our exit terms, during that period we get all the benefit of being in the EU without having to pay them any money, having control of our borders and being able to deviate from their regulations in all but a few areas.

Yet somehow this is a horrible deal and a travesty and May is a cund etc etc etc

Honestly, you couldn't make some of these halfwits up if you tried.

If her deal were to go through, you mean. And not only does it keep us in the CU while we negotiate our exit terms, during that period we get all the benefit of being in the EU without having to pay them any money, having control of our borders and being able to deviate from their regulations in all but a few areas.

Yet somehow this is a horrible deal and a travesty and May is a cund etc etc etc

Honestly, you couldn't make some of these halfwits up if you tried.
    I think that May got most of what she asked for, tbh. A negotiation is a compromise and given that nobody wanted a hard/no-deal Brexit, the EU were hardly going to bend over and give May everything she asked for.

She's damned if she does and damned if she does. I, for one, admire her resilience.