Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I know it's only the white ball stuff but I am enjoying England

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Ridiculous - sorry utterly ridiculous - the man has more one-day centuries than any Englishman bar Trescothick. Stokes is another basher though of course he comes back in - at some point England are going to need an accumulator even in these days (see Pakistan last year). By all means change the order when needed but give me a batsmen like Root rather than the all-too-often brainless Hales (and yes he played well yesterday) any day of the year
    I am just saying maybe he should duck out for a bit and sort his game out. My bigger concern here is for the test side. Root has been underperforming (for him) for a while and there is a definite confusion in his game. This becomes more evident in the one day game. He can get stuck at one end early in his innings but lately his ability to up the pace once he settles seems to be lacking.

Yesterday a patient innings was fine, given the situation. It was Hales who did it- Root got himself out as soon as he tried to go through the gears.

I want Root to focus on his test game and start scoring horrifically dull double hundreds.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am just saying maybe he should duck out for a bit and sort his game out. My bigger concern here is for the test side. Root has been underperforming (for him) for a while and there is a definite confusion in his game. This becomes more evident in the one day game. He can get stuck at one end early in his innings but lately his ability to up the pace once he settles seems to be lacking.

Yesterday a patient innings was fine, given the situation. It was Hales who did it- Root got himself out as soon as he tried to go through the gears.

I want Root to focus on his test game and start scoring horrifically dull double hundreds.....
    Yeah - take your point on concentrating on the Test side but I think the captaincy is more of an issue there not that he is playing one-day cricket. My rant was more directed at an idiot on Twitter yesterday who I refrained from engaging with, who said that picking Root was a throwback to 90s cricket. Don't think Root has been that out of touch in the one-day game though - only been a few games since he scored a ton (in NZ) and a fair few other decent scores besides

Yeah - take your point on concentrating on the Test side but I think the captaincy is more of an issue there not that he is playing one-day cricket. My rant was more directed at an idiot on Twitter yesterday who I refrained from engaging with, who said that picking Root was a throwback to 90s cricket. Don't think Root has been that out of touch in the one-day game though - only been a few games since he scored a ton (in NZ) and a fair few other decent scores besides
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it: Root really isn't a very good captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it: Root really isn't a very good captain.
    Who else is there though?

Who else is there though?
    Mike Brearley?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sadly I don't think this is uncommon view. No shame in it - great batsman but has no experience in the role prior to be made England captain. Personally I would give it to Broad just for ****s and giggles

Sadly I don't think this is uncommon view. No shame in it - great batsman but has no experience in the role prior to be made England captain. Personally I would give it to Broad just for ****s and giggles
    Bowlers are animals. You cant let them captain a side.

We dont have anyone so Root gets his turn. His batting average actually hasn't suffered much. I checked the stats a few months back.

Bowlers are animals. You cant let them captain a side.

We dont have anyone so Root gets his turn. His batting average actually hasn't suffered much. I checked the stats a few months back.
    Nope just not turning 50s into tons - worse problems to have I suppose

And I should probably clarify that, fair or not, I dont judge Root by the same standard as everyone else. Sorry, but he is better than that and we need him to be.

I dont see a problem with letting him sit out a few games and maybe having a look at someone else. He has a great game in both formats but at present I think he is fumbling slightly in both. We are talking about a bloke who is as good as anyone in the world.

Looking ahead to the World Cup, I am not questioning his place. But we are a way off yet.