Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: So we can add theatre to the list of things Mo knows nothing about

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I understand that. But why does that make Tolstoy's novels better? More to your taste, perhaps. More educational, so better in some vague moral sense? For the average punter Tolstoy's writing will be dull when it isn't indecipherable; and a writer who cannot make himself understood has failed, no?
    One offers edification, the other titillation, so yes, there is a moral dimension to the superiority. The whole concept of art is bound up with a sense of moral purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    One offers edification, the other titillation, so yes, there is a moral dimension to the superiority. The whole concept of art is bound up with a sense of moral purpose.
    So for a song, a painting, a play or a book to be 'good', as defined by you, it must wear a cloak of moral rectitude?

Fúck. That.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    So for a song, a painting, a play or a book to be 'good', as defined by you, it must wear a cloak of moral rectitude?

Fúck. That.
    Not rectitude. Weight and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Not rectitude. Weight and purpose.
    Sounds like pretentious wánk, but as I know you are incapable of ego-inflating pseudo-intellectual masturbation, it can't be.

I will certainly think carefully about what you have said, b.