Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I didn't like yesterday. I thought it should be a more celebratory experience

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'd never heard of him. And neither - by their own admission - had most of the players. Ditto the media.

You were clearly much more ITK, p.
    I suppose it wouldn't help to point out that I had heard of him then He was actually strongly linked with a job at the FA a year or so before he joined us

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I suppose it wouldn't help to point out that I had heard of him then He was actually strongly linked with a job at the FA a year or so before he joined us
    you dirty pervert, la
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Yeah, I don't think you're really typical, la. In the nicest possible way, of course.

I am no expert on european football (I have made that clear over the years) but I had heard of him. How can. You miss a story with a word in it that starts Arsene.....

Either way, he wasnt a 'bloke from Japan'.....he had a very successful career at Monaco.

The issue was a big club appointing a foreign manager. And it turned out it was rather a good idea ifyou get the right one....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am no expert on european football (I have made that clear over the years) but I had heard of him. How can. You miss a story with a word in it that starts Arsene.....

Either way, he wasnt a 'bloke from Japan'.....he had a very successful career at Monaco.

The issue was a big club appointing a foreign manager. And it turned out it was rather a good idea ifyou get the right one....
    Sorry, p, but you saying you'd heard of him does not alter the fact that most people hadn't. This is why you had headlines like 'Arsene Who?' and pieces like this spectacularly silly piece by Matthew Norman in which he describes AW as 'a Frenchman from Japan with a funny foreign name'. I'm not saying such ignorance was laudable, but it was very much general and very much real.

http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/wp-...Standard-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sorry, p, but you saying you'd heard of him does not alter the fact that most people hadn't. This is why you had headlines like 'Arsene Who?' and pieces like this spectacularly silly piece by Matthew Norman in which he describes AW as 'a Frenchman from Japan with a funny foreign name'. I'm not saying such ignorance was laudable, but it was very much general and very much real.

http://www.thearsenalhistory.com/wp-...Standard-1.jpg
    I think I am just saying it was pretty ignorant. There were constant references (even from Sir Alex) to him having 'come from JApan' when actually he had been managing a very successful european side and was quite well known in Europe.