Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a great Easter weekend. Spurs now in with a real shout of winning the title.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I tend to be quite open-minded about most things, but I think wanting Spurs to win the league less than any other club is kind of integral to being an Arsenal fan in any meaningful sense.
    Yup. What WES has done there is effectively admit he doesn't really get the whole 'Arsenal' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yup. What WES has done there is effectively admit he doesn't really get the whole 'Arsenal' thing.
    Neither do Arsenal lately.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had no front wheel mates and a bunch of Chelsea ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Maybe I'd feel differently if I had no front wheel mates and a bunch of Chelsea ones.
    Can't say i'd want them to win it but i'm indifferent to it. Since moving here and not really having any football banter my tribalism has been ****ed out the window.

It is an ever evolving thing though, Burney. While I used to hate Spurs more than any team in the world the whole Abramovich/Lampard/Terry/Mourinho era has raised Chelsea to the same level of hatred as Spurs for me. Literally Jamie, I don't know a single really offensive Spurs supporter.

I know bag loads of Chelsea ones.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    It is an ever evolving thing though, Burney. While I used to hate Spurs more than any team in the world the whole Abramovich/Lampard/Terry/Mourinho era has raised Chelsea to the same level of hatred as Spurs for me. Literally Jamie, I don't know a single really offensive Spurs supporter.

But that's the thing: ALL Tottenham supporters are offensive by dint of their allegiance - even the nice ones. Besides, if they seem acceptable now, it's only because we've had the whip hand over them for such a long time. With the boot on the other foot, you'll soon find out how offensive they are.

Besides, if they seem acceptable now, it's only because we've had the whip hand over them for such a long time. With the boot on the other foot, you'll soon find out how offensive they are.
    Yes, I expect that might very well be true. But for now, it is what it is.

COYS!

Ooh, that might have been too much. I feel rather unwell now.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

It is about more than the people we know, and I agree that many Chelsea fans are worse than Spurs fans (and there are reasons for that) it is about a kind of geo-political control of the hinterlands.

I walked past The Lane yesterday, with their grand construction site now resembling a new stadium, at a moment when their club could be riding the crest of a wave to some geniune success, possibly even standing on the edge of a seriously glorious era, while our club spirals downwards into goodness-knows what, and it was a sobering moment.

On the boards around the site were photos and momentoes of Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur. "Harry Kane scores a goal in Europe!" "Spurs win a football match!", "Harry Kane top scorer in the League!" "Here is us winning the league in black and white!". Proper DVD-release of a league cup tie win stuff.

For all the 'mind the gaps' and 'power-shift in North London' that we've come to laugh at over recent years they are finally actually going to finish ahead of us, and could even actually win the fùcking double, and possibly by beating us twice in the process. If the dominance that we take for granted, which makes Arsenal the default team in large parts of North London, is over, then we might start seeing kids in Tottenham shirts deep in Arsenal country, which is almost unheard of now for many-a-year.

And for those that live more in Spurs territory, like poor old Berni there, I shudder to think what the implications could be.

Ivan will notice a dip in one of his revenue-streams too when the tills in the Spurs club shops start to ring more regularly than in his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It is about more than the people we know, and I agree that many Chelsea fans are worse than Spurs fans (and there are reasons for that) it is about a kind of geo-political control of the hinterlands.

I walked past The Lane yesterday, with their grand construction site now resembling a new stadium, at a moment when their club could be riding the crest of a wave to some geniune success, possibly even standing on the edge of a seriously glorious era, while our club spirals downwards into goodness-knows what, and it was a sobering moment.

On the boards around the site were photos and momentoes of Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur. "Harry Kane scores a goal in Europe!" "Spurs win a football match!", "Harry Kane top scorer in the League!" "Here is us winning the league in black and white!". Proper DVD-release of a league cup tie win stuff.

For all the 'mind the gaps' and 'power-shift in North London' that we've come to laugh at over recent years they are finally actually going to finish ahead of us, and could even actually win the fùcking double, and possibly by beating us twice in the process. If the dominance that we take for granted, which makes Arsenal the default team in large parts of North London, is over, then we might start seeing kids in Tottenham shirts deep in Arsenal country, which is almost unheard of now for many-a-year.

And for those that live more in Spurs territory, like poor old Berni there, I shudder to think what the implications could be.

Ivan will notice a dip in one of his revenue-streams too when the tills in the Spurs club shops start to ring more regularly than in his own.
    I survived the early to mid-80s, a. I can survive this. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

While the next few weeks could be painfully (though they won't win the league), I don't think there future is as rosy as you are making out. By all accounts the cost of their stadium has doubled and it took some serious wheeler-dealing (sorry Twitchy) to raise the funds. TV money makes a huge difference but Lewis has never been one to dip his hands in his own pocket to help them out hugely. Dele Alli signed two new contracts last year and is still "only" on 50 grand a year. Jesse Lingard has just signed one at United for 100,000. No way are they keeping Kane, Alli etc on the wages they pay at the moment - or possibly Pochettino, which would be the biggest blow, as he appears to know what he is doing when signing players unlike most of the other clowns who have had the job (and while Levi has done well here his record for hiring decent managers is hardly inspiring for them)