Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I am halfway through watching the excellent Ken Burns documentary on the US Civil War

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. Friendly fire wasn't it for old Stonewall? Mind you, he struck one as less than amusing company, so no great loss.

I do love Shelby Foote's voice. Someone should have got him to do audiobooks of William Faulkner novels. He'd have been perfect.

To be honest, I don't think the south could ever have actually won militarily. However many battles they'd won, the sheer weight of industry, resources and men would have told eventually.
    They didn't have to win militarily. They just had to cause the north to get bogged down indefinitely, persuading the northerners of the folly of pursuing their ends. Kind of a Vietnam-type deal, Tet Offensive.

I personally like William Tecumseh Sherman. Scorched earth, faggits.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    They didn't have to win militarily. They just had to cause the north to get bogged down indefinitely, persuading the northerners of the folly of pursuing their ends. Kind of a Vietnam-type deal, Tet Offensive.

I like the Burns documentary, although I feel he over-relies on the Battle Hymn of the Republic. He plugs that song more than does a local radio station Taylor Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post

Yes. The man who promised to 'Make Georgia howl' and very much did. Of course, his march to the sea was by any modern definition you care to name a massive war crime, but highly effective nonetheless.