Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmmm. Churches in France do seem to be suffering a terrible run of luck lately.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Breaking in when there was no security as such on flights, I would imagine it would be a lot harder to do now. Bit like breaking in to a national monument 20 years ago would have been a lot easier than it is now
    What a lot of old bollócks. How much security is there around a cathedral, for Christ's sake?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What a lot of old bollócks. How much security is there around a cathedral, for Christ's sake?
    Last time I was there, I seem to remember the nearest thing to security was some bástard jewing money out of you at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Last time I was there, I seem to remember the nearest thing to security was some bástard jewing money out of you at the door.
    Surely you remember the metal detectors, the scanners, the armed guards, the close-questioning, the racial profiling? Getting into Notre Dame with a book of matches is just as hard as entering the flight deck of a 787 carrying an AK47, you know.

Surely you remember the metal detectors, the scanners, the armed guards, the close-questioning, the racial profiling? Getting into Notre Dame with a book of matches is just as hard as entering the flight deck of a 787 carrying an AK47, you know.
    You don't need matches. They have loads of candles to light. But how are you going to get into the loft from a crowded hurch full of tourists where alll the front bit is fenced off? You can sit on a pew in front on the fence, or go down the sides where all the little nooks with saints and candles are. But you can't clamber over a fence, have a root round the back trying to find how you get up to the loft, get upstairs etc etc with no-one seeing.

More planes full of tourists have been kidnapped in my lifetime than major, guarded cathedrals full of toursists have been toarched. Fact.

There is no way someone queued up, went past security and got into the loft at 7pm. Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    You don't need matches. They have loads of candles to light. But how are you going to get into the loft from a crowded hurch full of tourists where alll the front bit is fenced off? You can sit on a pew in front on the fence, or go down the sides where all the little nooks with saints and candles are. But you can't clamber over a fence, have a root round the back trying to find how you get up to the loft, get upstairs etc etc with no-one seeing.

More planes full of tourists have been kidnapped in my lifetime than major, guarded cathedrals full of toursists have been toarched. Fact.

There is no way someone queued up, went past security and got into the loft at 7pm. Not a chance.
    Why are you banging on and on about the loft? You know precisely fúck nothing about how or where the fire started. Three blurry pictures oin the BBC website do not make you a qualified fire investigator.

Why are you banging on and on about the loft? You know precisely fúck nothing about how or where the fire started. Three blurry pictures oin the BBC website do not make you a qualified fire investigator.
    Because that's what I was told was being said. My mate in the 4e went out there when he saw the flames from the window. He took me some pics.

When it was clear the fire had started up high, I blamed the scaffolding and started slagging off whichever company was doing the repairs. And he'd said the word was that it wasn't thescaffolding and workmen, that it was the loft.

They'd been having some problem with the electrics and lighting. So they'd got some generators up there and the place was over run with wires and 4-ways and the like.

I have no idea how true this is, but it looks the most plausible from the little clips I've seen.

The scaff was over the roof and around the spire, but you couldn't get to that unless you had a key to get the the bits between the fence and the walls. I don't know where the workmen entered, but anyone trying to get over fences and then clambering up in daylight when it's swarming with tourists on the river side, on the little restaurant side, or in the park at the back (as well as the front with the police and queues and bouncers) is gonna have the filth called on him before he's 1/4 way up.

And the loft is gonna be over the massive wooden beams (that took 42 acres of forest, apparently) and under the spire.

If we're playing what looks most likely, it's the loft below the spire.

You object to contributing to the upkeep of priceless buildings that you visit? My word. Who do you expect to pay for it? Johnny Taxpayer? CEO of Gucci?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You object to contributing to the upkeep of priceless buildings that you visit? My word. Who do you expect to pay for it? Johnny Taxpayer? CEO of Gucci?
    How about...ooooh, let's see...the Roman Catholic Church? They're not short of a bob or two - even with all the nonce money they've had to pay out.

How about...ooooh, let's see...the Roman Catholic Church? They're not short of a bob or two - even with all the nonce money they've had to pay out.
    And where does Mother Church get her money? From catholic folk who attend mass.

Why would you expect decent people to subsidise your sightseeing, you Godless heathen bástard?

And where does Mother Church get her money? From catholic folk who attend mass.

Why would you expect decent people to subsidise your sightseeing, you Godless heathen bástard?
    Indeed! My poor ancestors who hadn't an arse to their trousers but were expected to hand over what meagre pittance they had so that some smooth-faced priest could sit on his well-fed rump and wear silk.

And I'm expected to pay again?! Fúck that.