Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: This morning I remembered some stuff and it made me deeply grateful

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    For anyone who wasn't monumentally stupid or hideously deformed, had a modicum of social skill and (ideally) some facility for sport, public school was tremendous fun.
    The great fun I had at school was most definitely in spite of the school and nothing to do with it.

I shudder to this day to recall the brutal bullying that was a reality for the less popular, the dim and the fat ( we reserved a highly refined and quite vicious odium for fat people).

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    The great fun I had at school was most definitely in spite of the school and nothing to do with it.

I shudder to this day to recall the brutal bullying that was a reality for the less popular, the dim and the fat ( we reserved a highly refined and quite vicious odium for fat people).
    Yes. Fatness meant instant bullying back then. There was a chap called Jupp whose jelly-like frame would make him a constant target for vicious towel flicking after swimming. It has to be said there was a certain sadistic pleasure to be gained from watching his flab wobble when you caught him with a good one to the belly.

I suppose with hindsight that that was probably bullying Mind you, there was a big fat Chinese lad called Pete Lam who you didn't mock because he was enormous and would fück you up if you did.

Well quite. There was a chap I recall was mercilessly tormented until one day he lost it and delivered a comprehensive and quite bloody shoeing to the tormentor-in-chief. None of us knew he could scrap and the bullying ceased immediately of course.