Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange that some on here are laughing that Germany are out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Just think, f. Harry Kane holding the World Cup aloft, flanked by Debbie Ali, Danny Rose, Eric Dier and Kieran Trippier. Imagine the headline 'Spurs Win The World Cup'.

Is that what you want? Is it?
    I can't think of anything other than a Spurs fanzine that would publish that and why on earth would I be reading one of those?

And I don't hate any of those people for the person they are (other than Danny Rose I mean) I hate them because they play for Spurs. But when they play for England, they aren't playing for Spurs, so I don't hate them.

Perhaps being a rational, mature, adult male has biased my view.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I can't think of anything other than a Spurs fanzine that would publish that and why on earth would I be reading one of those?

And I don't hate any of those people for the person they are (other than Danny Rose I mean) I hate them because they play for Spurs. But when they play for England, they aren't playing for Spurs, so I don't hate them.

Perhaps being a rational, mature, adult male has biased my view.
    Well The Mirror (under Piers Morgan) published this in 1998.

foV8H4p.jpg

And a truly rational, mature, adult male wouldn't care about football in the first place, you spastic.

foV8H4p.jpg

And a truly rational, mature, adult male wouldn't care about football in the first place, you spastic.
    And he did it tongue in cheek....... how come you don't feel like this over ENgland cricket, you have the county you support but that doesn't make you act like a demented loon the way football does in your thinking
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    And he did it tongue in cheek....... how come you don't feel like this over ENgland cricket, you have the county you support but that doesn't make you act like a demented loon the way football does in your thinking
    tbf the cricket team does it best to not actually pick English people which might help

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    tbf the cricket team does it best to not actually pick English people which might help
    Good point, and lots of the players only play about 5 games a yr for their county
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

foV8H4p.jpg

Nonsense and you know it. Our love of football is no different than a love of ballet or fine art or architecture etc etc

The culture surrounding those pursuits may be very different, but the fundamental desire is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Nonsense and you know it. Our love of football is no different than a love of ballet or fine art or architecture etc etc

The culture surrounding those pursuits may be very different, but the fundamental desire is the same.
    You're equating sport with art, which tells me you know very little about either.

You're equating sport with art, which tells me you know very little about either.
    Of course there is a connection between sport and art, inasmuch as both are to a degree driven by the pursuit of the exceptional and a search for the extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Of course there is a connection between sport and art, inasmuch as both are to a degree driven by the pursuit of the exceptional and a search for the extraordinary.
    Hmmm. That sounds like an attempt to try and fit the square peg of sport into the round hole of art. Art to me is a deliberately unpragmatic attempt to make sense of human existence. Sport, on the other hand, seems to me to be society's means of sublimating the natural competitiveness, aggression and athleticism of young men into a socially-acceptable form that also happens to be an enjoyable spectacle.

Hmmm. That sounds like an attempt to try and fit the square peg of sport into the round hole of art. Art to me is a deliberately unpragmatic attempt to make sense of human existence. Sport, on the other hand, seems to me to be society's means of sublimating the natural competitiveness, aggression and athleticism of young men into a socially-acceptable form that also happens to be an enjoyable spectacle.
    I think there is a definite crossover area. Consider the footballer who has trained his body to achieve the kind of balletic grace and control exhibited by Cruyff, Henry or Messi - this degree of exertion surely points to an individual seeking the truth of the human condition, much like, for example, the ballerina?