Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labour's attempts to differentiate their position on Brexit and specifically

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    [QUOTE=World's End Stella;4166746]
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

No, you simply do not understand the difference between hard Brexit and soft Brexit. Mostly because you don't understand what soft Brexit is, I'm afraid.
    Largely because it doesn't mean anything. Or more accurately, there is no real agreement as to what it means or how the term is used responsibly.

Brexit means Brexit is still the most sensible statement was have on the subject, which is quite terrifying

[QUOTE=Peter;4166748]
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

Largely because it doesn't mean anything. Or more accurately, there is no real agreement as to what it means or how the term is used responsibly.

Brexit means Brexit is still the most sensible statement was have on the subject, which is quite terrifying
    And yet 17mil people voted for it. Astonishing.

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4166753]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

And yet 17mil people voted for it. Astonishing.
    However you wish to pretend otherwise, what was voted for was remarkably simple. The vote unequivocally represented a rejection of this country's membership of and current relationship with the EU. It said clearly that a majority no longer wish to be part of the organisation and - insofar as possible with regard to a future trading relationship - no longer wish to pay for its upkeep or be subject to its laws and regulations.

Now are those things simple to achieve? No. But that is what was voted for.

[QUOTE=Burney;4166762]

However you wish to pretend otherwise, what was voted for was remarkably simple. The vote unequivocally represented a rejection of this country's membership of and current relationship with the EU. It said clearly that a majority no longer wish to be part of the organisation and - insofar as possible with regard to a future trading relationship - no longer wish to pay for its upkeep or be subject to its laws and regulations.

Now are those things simple to achieve? No. But that is what was voted for.
    You've described what people didn't want, without describing what they did want.

And that bit is rather important.

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4166763]
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

You've described what people didn't want, without describing what they did want.

That's a bit silly. If I had cancer and you asked me what I wanted, I'd say, 'To not have cancer'.

Would you then tell me I hadn't answered the important question, what would I like instead of cancer?

What we didn't want was the question at issue, though. It was a binary choice in that sense. People are entitled in such a vote to reject the status quo without offering a detailed alternative. They voted to ditch the EU and try something else and it is the duty of any government to pursue future avenues only in the context of that rejection.

What people do want is always the same: peace, prosperity and a quiet life.

[QUOTE=Burney;4166767]

What we didn't want was the question at issue, though. It was a binary choice in that sense. People are entitled in such a vote to reject the status quo without offering a detailed alternative. They voted to ditch the EU and try something else and it is the duty of any government to pursue future avenues only in the context of that rejection.

What people do want is always the same: peace, prosperity and a quiet life.
    Funny that the overwhelming majority of them never get it

[QUOTE=Peter;4166770]

Funny that the overwhelming majority of them never get it
    I can only surmise that you refer to Africa, p. Things are improving rapidly there as well. Fear not, capitalism is continuing to save the world.

Unfortunately, it isn't what they were asked. They were asked yes or no, they voted no. Some of us pointed out beforehand that it was a little silly to ask people to vote for something they weren't allowed to see but that is what we got.

While its dangerous to interpret too much from a yes or no vote I find it absurd that anyone could deny that freedom of movement was a key issue within the no vote.

[QUOTE=Peter;4166768]

Unfortunately, it isn't what they were asked. They were asked yes or no, they voted no. Some of us pointed out beforehand that it was a little silly to ask people to vote for something they weren't allowed to see but that is what we got.

While its dangerous to interpret too much from a yes or no vote I find it absurd that anyone could deny that freedom of movement was a key issue within the no vote.
    Anything other than a binary choice would have been meaningless, though. It was first necessary to establish democratically that we no longer wished to be in the EU and only from there could we work out what form that would take. To have hedged the vote about with various options would have been to dilute it to the point of worthlessness. Equally, the vote that took us in was binary and offered no nuance (to the point of dishonesty, in fact), so it was only fair that the vote to take us equally simple.