Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Have you ever sent someone a picture of ytour winkle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Merely my poor homage to the Master, of course. I couldn't possibly hope to emulate him in any meaningful sense.
    Having now been through the whole Jeeves oeuvre twice I tried my first Blandings and , though I managed to finish, felt something was missing. At the mention in the book of Sir Roderick Glossop I became misty eyed and nostalgic for Bertie and Jeeves.

Have just finished Ben Schott's Jeeves and the King of Clubs and found it very wide of the mark. Far too many snappy one liners for Bertram methinks.

Have you tried Faulks' attempt? I fancy you'd be too much the purist b to have bothered but 'red will be much less of a literary snob.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Having now been through the whole Jeeves oeuvre twice I tried my first Blandings and , though I managed to finish, felt something was missing. At the mention in the book of Sir Roderick Glossop I became misty eyed and nostalgic for Bertie and Jeeves.

Have just finished Ben Schott's Jeeves and the King of Clubs and found it very wide of the mark. Far too many snappy one liners for Bertram methinks.

Have you tried Faulks' attempt? I fancy you'd be too much the purist b to have bothered but 'red will be much less of a literary snob.
    I don't really see the point of that sort of thing, to be fair. If I want to read Wodehouse, then only Wodehouse will do. However good the imitation might be, it can only ever be clever pastiche at best - and as such, ultimately unsatisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post

Yes, although Emsworth is essentially an aged Bertie Wooster, the books lack Wooster's first person narration, which is the most genius thing the genius ever created, imo.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."