Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to spin an election result.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Leavers who promised a good deal would argue that the reason we've wound up with a bad deal is because the entire process has been a) run by remainers treating it as a damage limitation exercise, b) sabotaged by those who have manouvered to take no deal off the table

This may not be true, but it's not the most outrageous claim in the world. We simply don't know how much the EU would have bent had they been faced by a hard Brexiteer PM from the outset with more ability to keep their Cabinet in line. And so it would seem reasonable at this point to give them a chance to prove they were right all along, the opportunity for which is (just about) still open.
    Yes, I agree. The Tories should select a hard Brexiter and go into negotiations with the EU with no deal on the table. If they don't move - and I see no reason to believe they will - then we should go to no deal. If we can get a deal, fine, but I'd be willing to bet there is no deal at all that will keep the large majority of Leave voters happy.

The point is assuming we have to go to no deal, what do you do then? This parliament won't let it go through so the only option is a GE or a second referendum. My choice would be the latter, and I would choose the question a laid out because even with a GE there is no certainty that both major parties might still not try the middle ground and we end up back where we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yes, I agree. The Tories should select a hard Brexiter and go into negotiations with the EU with no deal on the table. If they don't move - and I see no reason to believe they will - then we should go to no deal. If we can get a deal, fine, but I'd be willing to bet there is no deal at all that will keep the large majority of Leave voters happy.

The point is assuming we have to go to no deal, what do you do then? This parliament won't let it go through so the only option is a GE or a second referendum. My choice would be the latter, and I would choose the question a laid out because even with a GE there is no certainty that both major parties might still not try the middle ground and we end up back where we are now.
    It is perfectly possible for No Deal to go through using purely executive powers. Parliament need not be involved. For that to happen would require a PM with the balls to do it, though.

Aren't you worried a GE could wipe Remain out, once and for all

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Aren't you worried a GE could wipe Remain out, once and for all
    If a proper Brexiteer came in and immediately threatened to withdraw the whip from any hardcore remainers (meaning they would be fúcked at a GE) and then dared them to bring down the government, he might have to go to the country, but he'd have a good chance of actually winning a workable majority sans remain filth clogging up the party.

I wanted him to admit that

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    If a proper Brexiteer came in and immediately threatened to withdraw the whip from any hardcore remainers (meaning they would be fúcked at a GE) and then dared them to bring down the government, he might have to go to the country, but he'd have a good chance of actually winning a workable majority sans remain filth clogging up the party.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

'Remain filth'? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    'Remain filth'? Really?
    Absolutely! We must have ideological purity within the Party.

The scum must be purged: Remainers; Lefty bleeding hearts; identity politics wallahs; tax raisers; Allan-lovers; nanny staters; warmists - they all have to go.

The scum must be purged: Remainers; Lefty bleeding hearts; identity politics wallahs; tax raisers; Allan-lovers; nanny staters; warmists - they all have to go.
    This cavalier use of intemperate language distresses me. When the left do it we, quite rightly, assume the moral high ground.

Be better than the leftists, b. Do now crawl into the gutter with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    This cavalier use of intemperate language distresses me. When the left do it we, quite rightly, assume the moral high ground.

Be better than the leftists, b. Do now crawl into the gutter with them.
    Pfff. The centre is dead. You and your moderation and your namby-pamby fears of nasty words have no place in the glorious future, in which the enemies of Britain must be crushed utterly on the way to glorious, sunlit uplands.

You see what you and your sort have done? That's practically the entire Conservative party nowadays