Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: So this vote that Mrs May lost, I'm assuming it is some irrelevance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You have every idea. You know fulll well that no more than 3-4 labour MPs would vote down her deal in that scenario.

As for No Brexit, the enduring spectre of No Brexit via a long extension of article 50 (which *is* still very much on the table) would amount to much the same thing in the ERG’s eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've no idea what the political arithmetic would look like at that point (or what Labour might do).

But her deal would still be Brexit. It's not a Brexit I'd particularly favour, but it is Brexit. We would leave the EU.

Like I say, there is no option of 'No Brexit'.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    You have every idea. You know that no more than 3-4 labour MPs would vote down her deal in that scenario.

As for no Brexit, the enduring spectre of no Brexit vis a long extension of article 50 (which *is* still very much on the table) would amount to much the same thing in the ERG’s eyes.
    A long extension to Article 50 is a nice threat to wave at the ERG, but everyone knows it's not politically sustainable because a/ The EU cannot have us half-in, half-out indefinitely and b/ At some point a government will have to fight an election (sooner rather than later given that it will be impossible to command a majority in the event of such an outcome), which will be impossible to do successfully in such circumstances.