Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: :clap: The Boy Owen got there first.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Ah. 'The' individual. Where does he live, then? Is he the wealthy slave trader or the poor, abused slave? Because he can't be both.

To talk of 'the individual' is, by its nature, to talk of the collective since you are effectively taking an average of human happiness.

Also, you don't think our way of doing things has its victims? The child in the Cambodian sweatshop or the suicidal worker in the FoxConn tower might not agree. We've just moved the problem out of sight and thus largely out of mind. The benefit you derive is affordable consumer goods and for that you're happy to trade off the misery of someone thousands of miles away. So your equality of opportunity and basic human rights schtick is pretty blinkered and hypocritical. What's more, plenty of people outside our comfy little bubble can see it.
    I expected some odd exchanges today but Burney morphing into Jeremy Corbyn is definitely a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I expected some odd exchanges today but Burney morphing into Jeremy Corbyn is definitely a surprise
    Yes, I've had my eye on B for some time
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Oh, you mistake me, p. I don't actually care about the child in the Cambodian sweatshop in any meaningful sense, I'm just aware that he/she exists and have sufficient empathy and awareness to realise that his/her existence rather undermines some of our more high-flown rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, you mistake me, p. I don't actually care about the child in the Cambodian sweatshop in any meaningful sense, I'm just aware that he/she exists and have sufficient empathy and awareness to realise that his/her existence rather undermines some of our more high-flown rhetoric.
    It was also your insistence that the individual doesn't exist. You have become the anti-Thatcher

It was also your insistence that the individual doesn't exist. You have become the anti-Thatcher
    Oh, the individual exists absolutely! What doesn't exist is 'The Individual' as defined by a sort of global average. I reject the latter absolutely, since he absolutely doesn't exist.

It's the moral relativism that has shook me to the core