Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Project Fudge. Gove and Fox challenging Boris.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You can't fudge this. Ultimately it's in or out unless - my dearest wish - the EU project collapses and is replaced by a community of nations who co-operate without an unelected all-powerful Commission running the show for its benefit.

But if the EU continues in its present shape and form we are in or out. There really isn't a grey area on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    You can't fudge this. Ultimately it's in or out unless - my dearest wish - the EU project collapses and is replaced by a community of nations who co-operate without an unelected all-powerful Commission running the show for its benefit.

But if the EU continues in its present shape and form we are in or out. There really isn't a grey area on this.
    Oh, we're out. Make no mistake about that. The fudge will be the terms on which we're out - not the fact itself. All that is just wishful thinking by Remainers. There will be a fudge on free movement (probably something along the lines of free movement of labour, but restrictions on other forms of movement) and there will be a fudge on our access to the single market. We will not be entirely outside the EU, but neither will we be part of it.

Ultimately, all I cared abut was the undemocratic, authoritarian and unaccountable nature of the EU, so I just wanted us out of that. The other details don't bother me over much.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Ultimately, all I cared abut was the undemocratic, authoritarian and unaccountable nature of the EU, so I just wanted us out of that. The other details don't bother me over much.
    Yes, which is why remaining in the single market is the desirable route. However, as the free movement of goods, services, capital and labour requires standard rules defining what constitutes those things there is the matter of having to accept those rules, thus still being subject to EU law to an extent. Hopefully that won't be a problem.

One of the liberating things of being out of the EU should be the ability to not be subject to EU's racist policies against brown people, so that we can attract more talent from India and Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Yes, which is why remaining in the single market is the desirable route. However, as the free movement of goods, services, capital and labour requires standard rules defining what constitutes those things there is the matter of having to accept those rules, thus still being subject to EU law to an extent. Hopefully that won't be a problem.

One of the liberating things of being out of the EU should be the ability to not be subject to EU's racist policies against brown people, so that we can attract more talent from India and Africa.
    Yes, we're going to have to swallow some stuff we don't particularly like as part of the deal, but so are they. That's how deals work.

Anyone who thought we were going to cut all ties and walk off into the sunset was kidding themselves.

It's like a divorce, basically. You split up, but there are still ties that bind you in terms of finances, property, kids, etc, so it's never going to be truly final.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Of course, the Germans learned their lesson over their "re-unification". Or, anyway, they should have.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."