Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyrics you misheard or changed your mind and now you can't but help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Same for me. Except it's not always it's very strange.

Sometimes I try to play it cool by appearing that just carry on doing what I am doing during the take off.

some people hate landing but it doesn't bother me at all.
    I love landing. It means I am going to be having a fag shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I don't think you are allowed to call them fags now
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Oh yeah. I'm never happier on a plane than when it's descending to land. While I know it's potentially the most dangerous part of the flight, I also know that the whole thing will be over soon one way or another.

That's the thing about me and flying: it's not crashing and dying I'm afraid of, it's actually being on planes.
    Last edited by Burney; 07-13-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh yeah. I'm never happier on a plane than when it's descending to land. While I know it's potentially the most dangerous part of the flight, I also know that the whole thing will be over soon one way or another.

That's the thing about me and flying: it's not crashing and dying I'm afraid of, it's actually being on planes.
    Exactly. THe alternative to landing is being stuck up there. When you get caught in a landing queue I would seriously consider the offer of a parachute.

Isnt take off the most dangerous part? I tend to think once the thing is in the air and working you will be fine.

Exactly. THe alternative to landing is being stuck up there. When you get caught in a landing queue I would seriously consider the offer of a parachute.

Isnt take off the most dangerous part? I tend to think once the thing is in the air and working you will be fine.
    Well it's the most dangerous in the sense that you are pointing the big, fast-moving machine at the ground and hoping everything goes alright, I'd guess. In terms of the statistics, I've no idea. You'd have to ask Sir C. He knows about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

That's the thing about me and flying: it's not crashing and dying I'm afraid of, it's actually being on planes that I cannot stand.
    'Aircraft' is good. 'Aeroplane' is also fine. 'The jet', if you're flying it.

Take off is by far the most dangerous time on an airliner. Just after rotate, at a speed so low you're entirely dependent on the complex system of slats and flaps keeping the aircraft airborne as it accelerates - meanwhile, the engines are working flat out and if something's going to go wrong with one of them, this is the time. And if it does, you'd better pray that the PF has the reflexes to immediately get the correct rudder applied and the room to lower the nose to maintain VMcA, or you're fúcked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    'Aircraft' is good. 'Aeroplane' is also fine. 'The jet', if you're flying it.

Take off is by far the most dangerous time on an airliner. Just after rotate, at a speed so low you're entirely dependent on the complex system of slats and flaps keeping the aircraft airborne as it accelerates - meanwhile, the engines are working flat out and if something's going to go wrong with one of them, this is the time. And if it does, you'd better pray that the PF has the reflexes to immediately get the correct rudder applied and the room to lower the nose to maintain VMcA, or you're fúcked.
    So I was right to be scared

So I was right to be scared
    Too right you were. Especially these days, when most FOs are wet-behind the ear kids who have graduated from an approved course with no more than 250 hours total experience. They simply do not have the instinctive reactions to things going wrong which catch the problem in the first 5 seconds. The old generation of skippers is still around at the moment, but they're starting to retire and these kids are getting promoted to the left hand seat. It's quite scary, really.

I have a good friend who is a senior, very experienced skipper with a certain very popular airline and he tells me that these days, if he has, for example, a night flight into a meditaerranean island where he is likely to be making an approach, in the weather, without benefit of radar cover, he looks at the sprog next to him and realises that he is, to all intents and pruposes, going to have the do the job alone. And it's a two man job, so that's really, really hard.

Now imagine something going wrong in the middle of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Too right you were. Especially these days, when most FOs are wet-behind the ear kids who have graduated from an approved course with no more than 250 hours total experience. They simply do not have the instinctive reactions to things going wrong which catch the problem in the first 5 seconds. The old generation of skippers is still around at the moment, but they're starting to retire and these kids are getting promoted to the left hand seat. It's quite scary, really.

I have a good friend who is a senior, very experienced skipper with a certain very popular airline and he tells me that these days, if he has, for example, a night flight into a meditaerranean island where he is likely to be making an approach, in the weather, without benefit of radar cover, he looks at the sprog next to him and realises that he is, to all intents and pruposes, going to have the do the job alone. And it's a two man job, so that's really, really hard.

Now imagine something going wrong in the middle of that...
    Yeah, well. These things happen. Stick on some music and forget about it.

Yeah, well. These things happen. Stick on some music and forget about it.
    Well, yeah. That's OK if there is some catastrophic incident and everyone gets wiped out immediately. What if there is a landing incident? All those bits of seats and bits of people flying around the cabin inflicting the most unimaginable injuries. And that's without the fire! And it's not just any old fire. AVTUR burns hot, p. Hot.