Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: So it seems our chums in the ever-democratic EU are threatening to suspend Poland's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    So you're now suggesting the EU has brought all these benefits, are you? That's a rather grandiose claim, if I may say so. How have all those developed countries not in the EU managed, I wonder?
    Of course various things in life have got better. That has nothing to do, however, with membership of the Common Market/EEC/EC/EU, upon which over-55s made a judgement and - as I say - found it wanting.
    You really do love logical leaps, Burney.

No, I never said that. You said that over 55s decided they preferred life pre EU and that's why they voted Leave and that that is a powerful argument for Leave. I pointed out that by virtually every measurable standard life is better now, so that argument doesn't really hold. At no point did I credit the EU for those improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    You really do love logical leaps, Burney.

No, I never said that. You said that over 55s decided they preferred life pre EU and that's why they voted Leave and that that is a powerful argument for Leave. I pointed out that by virtually every measurable standard life is better now, so that argument doesn't really hold. At no point did I credit the EU for those improvements.
    Given the context of my remarks, it should be abundantly clear that I was referring to those areas of life in which membership of the EU has had an influence. You were the one who artificially conflated that with a range of irrelevant sociological factors that are common to every developed country.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Given the context of my remarks, it should be abundantly clear that I was referring to those areas of life in which membership of the EU has had an influence. You were the one who artificially conflated that with a range of irrelevant sociological factors that are common to every developed country.
    I think you had it right the first time; Brexit wasn't about facts, it was more about feelings and grabbing a rare opportunity to express the feeling that we simply don't like Europeans very much.

Tolerate them, yes. Even enjoy them. But "like"? No. We're not really going to "Leave" though; that was never the intention. At least, of Brexit.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I think you had it right the first time; Brexit wasn't about facts, it was more about feelings and grabbing a rare opportunity to express the feeling that we simply don't like Europeans very much.

Tolerate them, yes. Even enjoy them. But "like"? No. We're not really going to "Leave" though; that was never the intention. At least, of Brexit.
    There you go, red, spot on all of that. The quantitative analysis said Remain.

And for that reason, we will. The rest is all just packaging.