Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Len McCluskey on the election: "The whingers and whiners say we didn't win. I say we

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    There is a broader question here though. Over three elections, in 2010, 2015 and 2017, the Conservatives have twice failed to gain a majority and only once managed to squeeze very narrowly over the line. This is against a Labour Party held responsible for war and economic collapse, and then a Labour Party led by a leftie and which has been a laughing stock on here for the last few years.

Those three results over seven years suggest a distinct lack of appetite for the Conservatives and for austerity.

I think that underestimates quite how much the electoral boundaries in this country are weighted against the Tories, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think that underestimates quite how much the electoral boundaries in this country are weighted against the Tories, to be fair.
    Labour's manifesto position was very deliberately worded to allow them to be creative with their position on Brexit. And of course because of the prevailing narrative that Brexit is going to be a disaster, many of the Leavers who ambivalently voted Labour last time round might now do so with even LESS caution, precisely BECAUSE of their softer position on Brexit.