Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we really considering employing someone called 'Grandad Holy Ghost' as manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Talking of christmas stuffings, my wife is English and demands two types of stuffing at christmas: 1) pork, onion and sage, which she refers to as 'forcemeat', and 2) some concoction of breadcrumbs and cranberries or some other nonsense, which she calls the 'stuffing'.

She also insists on having bread boiled in milk.

The English are an odd bunch.
    You have to have bread sauce. Your palate is simply too enervated to appreciate its wonder.

Stuffing I can take or leave. I've never found it to add much to the gaiety of nations. It's just filler in a meal that really doesn't need extra calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You have to have bread sauce. Your palate is simply too enervated to appreciate its wonder.

Stuffing I can take or leave. I've never found it to add much to the gaiety of nations. It's just filler in a meal that really doesn't need extra calories.
    My palate grew out of enjoying pap many years ago, b.

Stuffing (I mean forcemeat ) is useful on those occasions one if forced to suffer turkey. It adds lubrication and flavour to the dry blandness.

Stuffing (I mean forcemeat ) is useful on those occasions one if forced to suffer turkey. It adds lubrication and flavour to the dry blandness.
    You are opbviously not cooking it correctly, the Tom Kerridge Turkey cooked in clingfilm is truly lovely
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Unpopular opinion: Christmas dinner is shíte.

Is there anyone whose heart doesn't sink slightly as their Christmas plate becomes overfilled and you essentially end up with a plateful of random, overlapping pig and bird flesh, heavy carbs and sprouts slathered in an indiscernible gloop of gravy/bread/cranberry sauce?

No matter how well done the individual elements, they are too many and too incongruent for it to work as a whole. It just becomes a heap of food. I've usually lost my appetite before I've taken a bite of the unholy mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    You are opbviously not cooking it correctly, the Tom Kerridge Turkey cooked in clingfilm is truly lovely
    Unless it tastes of something other than turkey, it's rank.

Is there anyone whose heart doesn't sink slightly as their Christmas plate becomes overfilled and you essentially end up with a plateful of random, overlapping pig and bird flesh, heavy carbs and sprouts slathered in an indiscernible gloop of gravy/bread/cranberry sauce?

No matter how well done the individual elements, they are too many and too incongruent for it to work as a whole. It just becomes a heap of food. I've usually lost my appetite before I've taken a bite of the unholy mess.
    The secret is to ignore the extraneous items and add only the good stuff.

A nice piece of goose leg. Some crispy roast potatoes. A few Brussels sprouts, pleasing if only for the novelty value. The rich giblet gravy. Perhaps a little forcemeat. Parnsips, red cabbage and so on can simply be ignored.

It's a Sunday roast What's not to like?

Apart from pigs in a blanket, you mean. Pigs in a blanket are ****ing ace

The secret is to ignore the extraneous items and add only the good stuff.

A nice piece of goose leg. Some crispy roast potatoes. A few Brussels sprouts, pleasing if only for the novelty value. The rich giblet gravy. Perhaps a little forcemeat. Parnsips, red cabbage and so on can simply be ignored.

It's a Sunday roast What's not to like?
    Yes, but mission creep always occurs. You think, 'Oh, I do like a bit of ham and a couple of pigs in blankets can't hurt' and before you know it, you've got an orgy of random meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Apart from pigs in a blanket, you mean. Pigs in a blanket are ****ing ace
    Yes, but aren't they better as a nibble than part of the meal?

Here we go, the annual traditional whinge about Christmas dinner.

It's as seasonal* as mince pies.

* The whinge**.
    ** And the dinner.