Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I'd probably put an extension of Article 50 and a second referendum at about 70%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    I know, but ultimately I think Tory MPs outside the ERG would sooner get behind a second ref than a No Deal Brexit.

It's possible that a No Deal Brexit could wipe out the Tories at the next GE, too. Even if an orderly No Deal departure was at a certain point possible, it does seem likely that it hasn't been adequately prepared for, and the economic impact would be substantial.
    No Deal might damage them in the short term (but, btw, the UK electorate doesn't vote Labour when the economy's in serious trouble - Labour govts are an indulgence set aside for good economic - or at least optimistic - times. Voting Labour during an economic storm would be like a shipwrecked sailor choosing to cling to the anchor rather than the wreckage).

By contrast, extending Article 50 and a second vote would betray their base destroy them forever. Which would you choose?
    Last edited by Burney; 12-05-2018 at 10:35 AM.

I thought ten years of austerity had set the economy good again?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No Deal might damage them in the short term (but, btw, the UK electorate doesn't vote Labour when the economy's in serious trouble - Labour govts are an indulgence set aside for good economic - or at least optimistic - times. Voting Labour during an economic storm would be like a shipwrecked sailor choosing to cling to the anchor rather than the wreckage).

By contrast, extending Article 50 and a second vote would betray their base destroy them forever. Which would you choose?
    . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    . . . . . . . . .
    Our economy is currently outperforming the rest of Europe, h. We're talking about a hypothetical scenario whereby No Deal wreaks short-term economic damage.