Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not bad from the Daily Smash really

Not bad from the Daily Smash really

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Given up on the Mash since it decided to turn itself into yet another mouthpiece for lefty wànkerdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Given up on the Mash since it decided to turn itself into yet another mouthpiece for lefty wànkerdom.
    I thought it took the p1ss out of pretty much everything, Corbyn seems to have been one of their favourite targets over the past year or so

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I thought it took the p1ss out of pretty much everything, Corbyn seems to have been one of their favourite targets over the past year or so
    Dunno. I stopped bothering with it when it took sides on Brexit. I understand that the TV series that has spun out of it is both awful and hugely left-biased.

Dunno. I stopped bothering with it when it took sides on Brexit. I understand that the TV series that has spun out of it is both awful and hugely left-biased.
    It took sides on Brexit because it's a bloody stupid idea. Just like they (and Private Eye) would slag of the SNP and the Corbynistas and the Kippers for being jokes, of course the Mash is going to slag off the Brexit cock-ups.

Had we remained, the next big EU cock-up would have seen Mash stories with headlines like "Maybe Farrage had a point, thinks everyone.", wouldn't it?

But you sound rather like one of those Kippers, Scot Nats or Corbynistas Hislop slagged off for ditching their PE subs because they couldn't take it when the joke was on them.

The majority of this country voted for someone telling them they could have their cake and eat it and they could ignore all the experts saying it would be a fiasco cos the country has had enough of experts. So now it's turning out to be a fiasco, of course it's a subject for humour.

If you read the comments below the Times, many Brexiters still seem to think that Europe should be bowing down to us cos we're British, or that if they don't we'll just walk away and it will screw them, not us, and that it's completely unfair that the EU are putting the interests of their 27 member states' voters ahead of ours.

And if this is The Times, I dread to think what they are saying on the Mail.

If the govt of this once great country are so weak that they will allow our economic future to be trashed by a bunch of deluded ideologues, of course the Mash is gonna take the piss.

We have the most useless leadership in the two main parties that I can think of - and I've studied most periods since 1689. Even during Suez, for example, there were many real heavyweights in both parties who could have stepped in and saved things. (Mac did, for the Tories, anyway.)

Yet we invite the biggest political crisis in peacetime history - in part because the right wing press told them that they shouldn't vote against austerity in the election, but it was fine to use the referendum as a protest vote to do just that - with no plan what to do when the vote is leave, and with no politicians on either side capable of solving it.

And even if there were, that would be impossible because the parties (mostly Tories, but also Corbyn) and the voters (mostly Lab as Tory remainers have nowhere to go with Corbyn in charge of Lab) are split down the middle, so our parliamentary representative democracy fails us in the biggest way in our history.

We had coalitions in 1915, 1931 and 1940.

Peel split the Tories over Free Trade with the Corn Law repeal of 1846. Joe Chamberlain split the Libs over Irish Home Rule and then the Tories over free trade vs tariff reform. (And while I oppose JC on both, at least he thought what he was doing was in the genuine interests of the majority of the population as opposed to some personal obsession.)

But in both cases, the parties could split, reshape and reform.

Yet we don't have the heavyweights on either side to put country before party and to split the parties to save the country. We need a realignment but these 650 weaklings are putting their careers first.

So when we have such a big **** up, you really think they shouldn't take the piss simply because you personally are in favour of the **** up? We risk destroying our prosperity for good.

And when that happens, B, you'll have one half of the country knowing it was all the fault of the other half.

And the Brexit half, will they blame themselves? Or will they listen to some right wing populist and the press say that they have been stabbed in the back by traitors?

I know it's never happened here - one reason why we think ourselves superior to Jonny Continental - but do you really think that means it couldn't? Are we really immune to civil strife and extremism?

This isn't a crash affecting the whole world. Or imposed by a hostile power after defeat in war. And there won't be a way of recovering the prosperity we have simply thrown away. This will be knowing that GB alone will suffer, with no hope of recovery, because of how a small majority of the population voted - thinking that they could have their cake and eat it because we really are so much better to foreigners.

Yet you don't think the Mash should be taking the piss? When the country's on the brink of civil war between the party that wants the Brexit voters to take the biggest hit and some far right populists supported by the Mail banging on about Dolchstoß and traitors, I hope you don't think the Mash should remain quiet on that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    It took sides on Brexit because it's a bloody stupid idea. Just like they (and Private Eye) would slag of the SNP and the Corbynistas and the Kippers for being jokes, of course the Mash is going to slag off the Brexit cock-ups.

Had we remained, the next big EU cock-up would have seen Mash stories with headlines like "Maybe Farrage had a point, thinks everyone.", wouldn't it?

But you sound rather like one of those Kippers, Scot Nats or Corbynistas Hislop slagged off for ditching their PE subs because they couldn't take it when the joke was on them.

The majority of this country voted for someone telling them they could have their cake and eat it and they could ignore all the experts saying it would be a fiasco cos the country has had enough of experts. So now it's turning out to be a fiasco, of course it's a subject for humour.

If you read the comments below the Times, many Brexiters still seem to think that Europe should be bowing down to us cos we're British, or that if they don't we'll just walk away and it will screw them, not us, and that it's completely unfair that the EU are putting the interests of their 27 member states' voters ahead of ours.

If the govt of this once great country are so weak that they will allow our economic future to be trashed by a bunch of deluded ideologues, of course the Mash is gonna take the piss.

We have the most useless leadership in the two main parties that I can think of - and I've studied most periods since 1689. Even during Suez, for example, there were many real heavyweights in both parties who could have stepped in and saved things. (Mac did, for the Tories, anyway.)

Yet we invite the biggest political crisis in peacetime history - in part because the right wing press told them that they shouldn't vote against austerity in the election, but it was fine to use the referendum as a protest vote to do just that - with no plan what to do when the vote is leave, and with no politicians on either side capable of solving it.

And even if there were, that would be impossible because the parties (mostly Tories, but also Corbyn) and the voters (mostly Lab as Tory remainers have nowhere to go with Corbyn in charge of Lab) are split down the middle, so our parliamentary representative democracy fails us in the biggest way in our history.

Peel split the Tories over Free Trade with the Corn Law repeal of 1846. Joe Chamberlain split the Libs over Irish Home Rule and then the Tories over free trade vs tariff reform. (And while I oppose JC on both, at least he thought what he was doing was in the genuine interests of the majority of the population as opposed to some personal obsession.)

Yet we don't have the heavyweights on either side to put country before party and to split the parties to save the country. We need a realignment but these 650 weaklings are putting their careers first.

So when we have such a big **** up, you really think they shouldn't take the piss simply because you personally are in favour of the **** up? We risk destroying our prosperity for good.

And when that happens, B, you'll have one half of the country knowing it was all the fault of the other half.

And the Brexit half, will they blame themselves? Or will they listen to some right wing populist and the press say that they have been stabbed in the back by traitors?

I know it's never happened here - one reason why we think ourselves superior to Jonny Continental - but do you really think that means it couldn't? Are we really immune to civil strife and extremism?

This isn't a crash affecting the whole world. Or imposed by a hostile power after defeat in war. And there won't be a way of recovering the prosperity we have simply thrown away. This will be knowing that GB alone will suffer, with no hope of recovery, because of how a small majority of the population voted - thinking that they could have their cake and eat it because we really are so much better to foreigners.

Yet you don't think the Mash should be taking the piss? When the country's on the brink of civil war between the party that wants the Brexit voters to take the biggest hit and some far right populists supported by the Mail banging on about Dolchstoß and traitors, I hope you don't think the Mash should remain quiet on that, too.
    It'll all be fine, g, never fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

I do find it funny how you lefties care about 'prosperity' and the environment for business and corporatism all of a sudden.

And what I object to is not the piss taking, it's the lazy, sneering, blinkered, ignorant, snobbish, reflexive, hysterical, dishonest and frankly humourless nature of it - all traits evident in your post and all too common among Remainers as a species.

I do find it funny how you lefties care about 'prosperity' and the environment for business and corporatism all of a sudden.

And what I object to is not the piss taking, it's the lazy, sneering, blinkered, ignorant, snobbish, reflexive, hysterical, dishonest and frankly humourless nature of it - all traits evident in your post and all too common among Remainers as a species.
    That really was quite the rant, wasn't it?

Can there really be no hope of recovery? Ever? It sounds awfully serious, b.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    That really was quite the rant, wasn't it?

Can there really be no hope of recovery? Ever? It sounds awfully serious, b.
    Any recovery seems an awfully long way away right now, to be honest. French cider; very bad.

Also, one of my puppies chewed up my brand new Oakley's
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Any recovery seems an awfully long way away right now, to be honest. French cider; very bad.

Also, one of my puppies chewed up my brand new Oakley's
    Ooh yes, it creeps up on you, French cider. I remember a peculiarly unpleasant incident in a galeterie in, of all places, Rocamadour.

Will you punish the errant hound, r?