Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon out MONTY!!! We want to talk football with you

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Correct, I don't think either of us have meaningfully challenged. For the past two seasons it's true that Spurs have kept their hopes alive until the last few weeks, but they have remained significant outsiders throughout on both occasions.
    That is true, but in both seasons they were the only realistic challengers in the closing months of the season. They were also better last year than the year before.

It has actually been an odd few years for the hegemony. Two years ago Chelsea, were dreadful, United not much better and City fairly ****. Last season City and United were average. So challenging them wasn't a huge deal. Of course, two years ago we finished above all three of them. But look where we are now.......

The sickening point is that for the first time in 20 years I would swap places with Spurs. You cant tell me that doesn't play a big part in the current hysteria. Our struggles are hard enough to accept without having to glance over at a good and improving Spurs side.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Anyway, aren't we part of the hegemony
    It's like the class system, I think. To anyone above us, we're contemptibly beneath them. To anyone below us, we're evil oppressors.

I am taking it to mean United and the doped clubs. We dont have the old or new money to compete with them financially.

Yes, which is why his logic is all over the place.

Still, we should thank him for joining the thread and fighting the fight. Props to Monty.

He hasn't completely and utterly humiliated himself but he's taken a bloody good run at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's like the class system, I think. To anyone above us, we're contemptibly beneath them. To anyone below us, we're evil oppressors.
    So, no, then? Nobody can be above the leading or dominant group, can they.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

Still, we should thank him for joining the thread and fighting the fight. Props to Monty.

He hasn't completely and utterly humiliated himself but he's taken a bloody good run at it.
    No. City, Chelsea and United all still hold a significant financial advantage over us and together they remain a hegemony. Part of that is of course legacy-related and will hopefully even out, but certainly not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am taking it to mean United and the doped clubs. We dont have the old or new money to compete with them financially.
    Aren't Liverpool part of it then, because they don't seem to have those things either, but they do have more trophies than all but Manchester United?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Aren't Liverpool part of it then, because they don't seem to have those things either, but they do have more trophies than all but Manchester United?
    Pffft. They have won the league less times than Leicester since football was invented in 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post

Although in fairness to him, he has at least managed to drag you into talking finances, again, when you really wanted to discuss Wenger's rubbish football

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    No. City, Chelsea and United all still hold a significant financial advantage over us and together they remain a hegemony. Part of that is of course legacy-related and will hopefully even out, but certainly not yet.
    Your initial post on this:

'In other words, no club (whether they've stuck with the same manager or chopped and changed every year or two) has managed to successfully challenge the hegemony of clubs that have either been financially doped or have come from a historical base of being a far bigger and richer club. '

Arsenal on a historical basis are one the biggest clubs in England and we are currently one of the 10 richest clubs in the world. On that basis we would be part of the hegemony.

And please don't tell me that we can't compete with City and Chelsea's money. You aren't really desperate enough to fall back to that one after it has been proven to be such utter nonsense over and over again?