Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
It is entertaining but surely the most joy anyone gets from football is watching Mesut Özil with the ball at his feat
Thinking about this a little more, there was a time when it was really only the result I cared about deeply, how we played was nice and relevant and everything, but we were league challengers every year back then so it was the result I cared about mostly.

As I became convinced some years ago that we would never win the league again under Wenger, the reverse is now true. I wasn't bothered at all then we lost to Watford, because it doesn't really matter. I was more interested in seeing certain players play, whether it be because of their genius (Sanchez, Ozil) or because I'm interested in their development (Iwobi, Bellerin, Xhaka).

So yes, you're right. While the game is being played I watch it only for the players, once it is over I'm utterly indifferent to Arsenal's place in the table or who may or may not be suspended etc because we have no chance of winning anything other than the odd domestic cup. Hence I focus on something like the pleasure I get from Mourinho losing it, or Spurs bottling it yet again etc.