Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
Ridiculous - sorry utterly ridiculous - the man has more one-day centuries than any Englishman bar Trescothick. Stokes is another basher though of course he comes back in - at some point England are going to need an accumulator even in these days (see Pakistan last year). By all means change the order when needed but give me a batsmen like Root rather than the all-too-often brainless Hales (and yes he played well yesterday) any day of the year
I am just saying maybe he should duck out for a bit and sort his game out. My bigger concern here is for the test side. Root has been underperforming (for him) for a while and there is a definite confusion in his game. This becomes more evident in the one day game. He can get stuck at one end early in his innings but lately his ability to up the pace once he settles seems to be lacking.

Yesterday a patient innings was fine, given the situation. It was Hales who did it- Root got himself out as soon as he tried to go through the gears.

I want Root to focus on his test game and start scoring horrifically dull double hundreds.....