Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Old Trafford test match

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Ollie Pope is a magnificent batsman. I know it didn't work out last time around but he is only 22 and should be persisted with. He will be a fantastic player for England one day; I have no doubt.
    I would certainly support trying to mould a young batsman into test cricket over trying to shoehorn a 30 year-old journeyman county pro who can't play short bowling into the slot or trying to turn a white-ball batsman into a red-ball one.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I would certainly support trying to mould a young batsman into test cricket over trying to shoehorn a 30 year-old journeyman county pro who can't play short bowling into the slot or trying to turn a white-ball batsman into a red-ball one.
    Pope is actually only 21. Averages 59 in 28 First Class matches. He was educated at Cranleigh, too. A couple of good friends went there and I can vouch for them being top blokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Amen, b, amen

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Amen, b, amen
    So would, say, as 20 year-old with a FCC average of 32 be a possible candidate for consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    So would, say, as 20 year-old with a FCC average of 32 be a possible candidate for consideration?
    Almost anyone would be. And lest we forget, Marcus Trescothick was picked to open for England when his FCC average wasn't much better than that. He did OK.