Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Phew! What a scorcher!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Awful shot from Burns
    Leach is playing as if to the manner born. I wonder who the last speccy four-eyes to open the batting for England was?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Leach is playing as if to the manner born. I wonder who the last speccy four-eyes to open the batting for England was?
    Only four-eyes I can recall was David Steele - but he was middle order I think (can remember hearing off him not quite old enough to have seen him play). Tavare may have worn glasses - didn't stop him not playing his shots though. Wouldn't mind one of his kind today tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Only four-eyes I can recall was David Steele - but he was middle order I think (can remember hearing off him not quite old enough to have seen him play). Tavare may have worn glasses - didn't stop him not playing his shots though. Wouldn't mind one of his kind today tbh
    I know Sir Geoffrey wore specs for his early tests - before he discovered contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I know Sir Geoffrey wore specs for his early tests - before he discovered contacts.
    Yes - I can remember pictures of that

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Only four-eyes I can recall was David Steele - but he was middle order I think (can remember hearing off him not quite old enough to have seen him play).
    I remember him. ISTR a local butcher offering him a year's supply of meat after one of his heroic innings.

Also had a Spinal Tap moment at Lord's getting lost in the pavilion coming out to bat on debut against the Aussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I remember him. ISTR a local butcher offering him a year's supply of meat after one of his heroic innings.

Also had a Spinal Tap moment at Lord's getting lost in the pavilion coming out to bat on debut against the Aussies.
    That would be the one - the most unlikely winner of BBC Sports Personality of the Year ever