Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: 'Man finds own amputated leg on cigarette packets without consent'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Of course it's cool to smoke. There is literally no other reason to do it.

And no. Governments like putting the pictures on packets because it appeases authoritarian. finger-wagging nanny state types like you and makes it look like they're doing something. If you seriously believe government and its agencies only keep doing things because they work, you seriously haven;'t been paying attention.
    I think they smoke because it is addictive...try it for a while and can't give it up. Not rocket science is it
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I think they smoke because it is addictive...try it for a while and can't give it up. Not rocket science is it
    Do try and think it through, p. Why would they even try it if it didn't have any social cachet - let alone go back to it? I can assure you it's not the taste.
    You may not realise this, but you don't instantly get addicted to cigarettes. It takes effort. You have to go through a few weeks of doing something actively unpleasant before it becomes enjoyable (ie an addiction). Why on earth would you do that if there weren't other social factors at work?

Of course smoking is cool. The fact that most people aren't cool and so don't smoke does not disprove this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Do try and think it through, p. Why would they even try it if it didn't have any social cachet - let alone go back to it? I can assure you it's not the taste.
    You may not realise this, but you don't instantly get addicted to cigarettes. It takes effort. You have to go through a few weeks of doing something actively unpleasant before it becomes enjoyable (ie an addiction). Why on earth would you do that if there weren't other social factors at work?

Of course smoking is cool. The fact that most people aren't cool and so don't smoke does not disprove this.
    They try it for plenty of reasons, to appear grown up, peer pressure, so it is not down to being seen to be cool
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    They try it for plenty of reasons, to appear grown up, peer pressure, so it is not down to being seen to be cool
    There's never any peer pressure to be uncool, p. There's only ever peer pressure to be cool.

And nobody wants to emulate uncool grown-up things like paying bills or getting life insurance. They want to emulate illicit, forbidden things like sex, drugs, drink and smoking.