Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Have we actually had a proper, old skool English collapse so far this tournament?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    How does he get too little credit? He was the 2nd highest run scorer. While Strauss got two tons, MK didn't get any but got 3 50s and averaged 43. Great opening combination, imo.
    Because nobody ever mentions how important his runs were in a psychological sense in taking the attack to the Aussies and in scoring quickly to ensure results. He gets overlooked in most of the retrospectives about that series, but having an English opener go after Australia’s quicks when we’d spent the previous 15 years just desperately trying to hang on was a big psychological shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Because nobody ever mentions how important his runs were in a psychological sense in taking the attack to the Aussies and in scoring quickly to ensure results. He gets overlooked in most of the retrospectives about that series, but having an English opener go after Australia’s quicks when we’d spent the previous 15 years just desperately trying to hang on was a big psychological shift.
    Lovely player to watch as well

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Nah. It was scoring 407 a/o in just under 80 overs on the first day of the 2nd test that turned things around after the Lords humiliation.

MK got 90 in 102 balls. That set it up for KP and Freddie to continue.

But I haven't watched any retrospectives. I only have my memories from the time. If only we had an opener like him now.