Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I see John Cleese has unleashed a shítstorm by the simple expedient of stating a fact

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I wouldn't restrict it to skin colour. There are very successful immigrant groups who are non-white - the Hindus being the best example. However, their success has been based on strenuous efforts to integrate with the indigenous culture.

And those 'large scale' immigrations you mention are nothing - NOTHING - on the scale of what has happened in London since 1997.

Also, it's worth noting that Irish people were actually British in the 19th and early 20th century - so not immigrants. You Brits forget that so easily.

We are talking about London, not Britain. We are also not talking about the scale of migration to London but what defines being an indigenous Londoner. I'd also take a note out of your comments regarding Hindus and integration. All ethnic groups have groups within that understand what migrating to a new location brings with it and those that do not or do not care. You can't be 100% that one group understand something better than another

Every minority that moves to a culturally different location, will naturally seek out people that they identify with, regardless of which particular religion or racial group they belong to.

Integration is another term I find almost meaningless in this context.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    We are talking about London, not Britain. We are also not talking about the scale of migration to London but what defines being an indigenous Londoner.
    London is the capital city of England and the principal city of the United Kingdom. For it not to reflect the wider country in ethnic, cultural or linguistic terms is an anomalous situation to say the least. And, given the degree to which it now fails to reflect the wider country, it is fair comment to argue that it has ceased in those terms at least to be an English city.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    I'd also take a note out of your comments regarding Hindus and integration. All ethnic groups have groups within that understand what migrating to a new location brings with it and those that do not or do not care. You can't be 100% that one group understand something better than another
    I can. I can look at the measure of their group's success or failure as represented by their respective per capita income/crime rates/etc, etc.

[QUOTE=Burney;4240725]London is the capital city of England and the principal city of the United Kingdom. For it not to reflect the wider country in ethnic, cultural or linguistic terms is an anomalous situation to say the least. And, given the degree to which it now fails to reflect the wider country, it is fair comment to argue that it has ceased in those terms at least to be an English city.[QUOTE]

The point here is that John Cleese said London is no longer an English city. You are saying that it is a fact that there are more non-indigenous people in London than indigenous. You have not provided any basis for this other than what can only amount to a "feeling"

I can. I can look at the measure of their group's success or failure as represented by their respective per capita income/crime rates/etc, etc.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just challenging your method of determination. Your use of the word integration is almost unquantifiable.
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

[QUOTE=Alberto Balsam Rodriguez;4240989][QUOTE=Burney;4240725]London is the capital city of England and the principal city of the United Kingdom. For it not to reflect the wider country in ethnic, cultural or linguistic terms is an anomalous situation to say the least. And, given the degree to which it now fails to reflect the wider country, it is fair comment to argue that it has ceased in those terms at least to be an English city.

The point here is that John Cleese said London is no longer an English city. You are saying that it is a fact that there are more non-indigenous people in London than indigenous. You have not provided any basis for this other than what can only amount to a "feeling"

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just challenging your method of determination. Your use of the word integration is almost unquantifiable.
    The 2011 Census is the basis for that assertion. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Look it up if you don't believe me.
    I'm not reading back through all of the posts on her but did you define what is indigenous?