Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm. Churches in France do seem to be suffering a terrible run of luck lately.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I fail to see what's 'disrespectful' about pointing out that this fire has occurred in the context of a spate of other attacks on religious sites in France - including arson. Would you prefer that fact were simply ignored?
    I believe it was your "and officials don't know why" that might have led ega to his post
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I believe it was your "and officials don't know why" that might have led ega to his post
    Yes, because that is utterly laughable. The reason is obvious to a half-bright child. It's the same reason we now have anti-car barriers on central London, invasive levels of security at airports, bombs going off at music concerts and massacres committed in European cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes, because that is utterly laughable. The reason is obvious to a half-bright child. It's the same reason we now have anti-car barriers on central London, invasive levels of security at airports, bombs going off at music concerts and massacres committed in European cities.
    So the default for you is that it was arson, and arson by a certain set of people, rather than the far more obvious answer that it was an accident?

So the default for you is that it was arson, and arson by a certain set of people, rather than the far more obvious answer that it was an accident?
    Of course it may well have been an accident, but what you've missed is the link in b's original post describing the disturbing number of incidents recently at catholic churches in France. So that surely weighs on the balance of probablilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Of course it may well have been an accident, but what you've missed is the link in b's original post describing the disturbing number of incidents recently at catholic churches in France. So that surely weighs on the balance of probablilities?
    I haven't missed the link, I would suggest the huge probaility that it is an accident, with a small chance it was arson....which seems to be the opposite of what b is suggesting

I haven't missed the link, I would suggest the huge probaility that it is an accident, with a small chance it was arson....which seems to be the opposite of what b is suggesting
    In fairness, Newsweek is suggesting that. B, is merely leading us to the article and wondering if there is an element of truth to it

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    In fairness, Newsweek is suggesting that. B, is merely leading us to the article and wondering if there is an element of truth to it
    I would think the fact that it was undergoing renovation at the time would certainly add to the likelihood that it was an accident.

Not sure why anyone would assume it was an act of terrorism and laugh at any alternatives. Leaving it open as a possibility, certainly.

Well, I'd say that without the ongoing story of churches being targeted in France your "huge probaility that it is an accident, with a small chance it was arson" would be the sensible conclusion, but when you add in the knowledge that recently this stuff keeps happeneing, surely your view changes a little? I mean "huge probability" versus "small chance"? Really?

Well, I'd say that without the ongoing story of churches being targeted in France your "huge probaility that it is an accident, with a small chance it was arson" would be the sensible conclusion, but when you add in the knowledge that recently this stuff keeps happeneing, surely your view changes a little? I mean "huge probability" versus "small chance"? Really?
    Yes, really

1. It happened around 7pm French time, didn't it? I've spent a lot of time around that Church in the last 3 months and I'm telling you, there's at very least a short queue to get in, sometimes a long one. You get your bags searched on the way in. There are loads of people inside, wandering around, all taking photos on phones, lighting candles (as I did a few times in front of Jeanne d'Arc) etc etc.

There is absolutely no way anyone could get in there with stuff to start a fire - they won't let me in with a can of 8.6 in the bag, so a bottle of petrol is a no-no - manage to walk round without being on a dozen tourists' cameras and get into the loft (cos there's no way you can start a fire in a corner with a Church full of tourists without being seen), set the place on fire, get down from the loft and get out without being caught.

Absolutely none.

The place is shut at night. When it's open, there are guards searching bags on the entrances and it's always full of tourists.

So please, C, how on earth can you think anyone would start a fire at 7pm in a guarded, crowded church?

2. Imagine it was an evil allan as B suggests. As I say, he'd get caught 'cos of all the camera phones and the police presence outside every single time I was walking through there. If he gets caught, he gets banged up for life doing that. Surely it's better to murder a few kaffirs and go to paradise?

3. What with the GJs, there wasn't any Muslim **** when I was there. But there was some strong anti-clerical stuff. There always has been, what with laicité and all that. That report says hardcore secularists or feminists. Ok, I wasn't in a Muslim area and I don't see how anyone could have got in and started one at that time. And I doubt any would actually do ND. But I would say either of those, in the current climate, are actually more likely than muzzies if we were talking about some minor desecration of a small church.

4. Also around late Feb, there were loads of Swastikas on Jewish graves up in Alsace and loads more desecrated in the suburbs. Macron et al started saying it was all us GJs and that cünt Bremner in the Times started parroting it. The French Bernis said it was all the Muzzies. Turns out that the stuff in the East was by some neo-nazi group called The Wolves of Alsace (but in German) while the stuff in the suburbs was some middle-aged, local govt chief financial officer for the 94 dept, with known FN and other far right links.

Bet you a bloc of foie gras to a can of Brew it wasn't allans.

It's an accident. Started in the loft, no way anyone can get in there with the guards and the crowds et al. And they had gennies up there with loads of wires.

Hate to break it to you.

If you go to St Paul Church on Rue Rivoli towards Bastille, that would have been easy to do. Been in there alone several times and there's a lovely Delacroix.

But there is no way any arsonist is getting in and out of ND unseen at 7pm on a Monday night.

Not a hope in hell.