Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I see there's one of those 'The Universe is Really Big' videos doing the rounds on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Actually, if you keep going in one direction you end up back where you started {in space, but not in time, obv.}

You're right about God, though. Various different elements from myriad different dying stars form into complex molecules here and start self-replicating. That's weird enough. But even if we then have unicellular lifeforms in the sea, the idea that we just end up with our level of consciousness simply by accident is patently nonsense.

'Course Shiva set it all up. Our consciousness is just Shiva opening His third eye as a means of understanding Himself. Otherwise you could break into a school science Lab on a Friday night, mix up a few chemicals and leave them over a low bunsen, and you'd have weird talking amoebae by Monday morning.
    One of your better posts, if you don't mind me being a slightly patronising cùnt.

Consciousness is really weird, when you start thinking about it. And the more you think about it the weirder it can feel, especially if you hit that meta-self-analytical spiral. Like, maaan. Your Shiva explanation could be seductively comforting - were I not to snap out of it and remember I'm actually a hard-nosed materialist who has put childish notions of Supreme Beings behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    One of your better posts, if you don't mind me being a slightly patronising cùnt.

Consciousness is really weird, when you start thinking about it. And the more you think about it the weirder it can feel, especially if you hit that meta-self-analytical spiral. Like, maaan. Your Shiva explanation could be seductively comforting - were I not to snap out of it and remember I'm actually a hard-nosed materialist who has put childish notions of Supreme Beings behind me.
    Have you had a wee toke at lunchtime, a?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Have you had a wee toke at lunchtime, a?
    Not for many years, sadly. I can still vaguely remember how to feel stoned though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Just out of interest, what do you say the many from myriad different cultures who have direct experience of the Divine and of the higher planes of consciousness?

You think they all just imagined it?

And if you did think that, does it not interest you that many different humans in different epochs, continents and cultures all have near identical experiences (or imaginings or hallucinations or however you choose to label their experiences)?

Are you sure you're not making the usual mistake of confusing the direct experience of Divinity with learnt religion? Just because most religious people are fückwits doesn't mean that those who've actually experienced these planes are lying.

It might also make you question why those Abrahamic religions with no concept of transcendental mysticism are the most likely to say theirs is the only way and to kill unbelievers in the name of a God of Pure Love.

While those who have direct experience of the Infinite Eternal Omniscient Omnipotent Hyper-Intelligence of Pure Love don't.

You don't see Buddhists Monks, Hindu Sadhus and hardcore acidheads gong around saying "ours is the only way. Convert or die", do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Just out of interest, what do you say the many from myriad different cultures who have direct experience of the Divine and of the higher planes of consciousness?

And if you did think that, does it not interest you that many different humans in different epochs, continents and cultures all have near identical experiences (or imaginings or hallucinations or however you choose to label their experiences)?

Are you sure you're not making the usual mistake of confusing the direct experience of Divinity with learnt religion? Just because most religious people are fückwits doesn't mean that those who've actually experienced these planes are lying.

It might also make you question why those Abrahamic religions with no concept of transcendental mysticism are the most likely to say theirs is the only way and to kill unbelievers in the name of a God of Pure Love.

While those who have direct experience of the Infinite Eternal Omniscient Omnipotent Hyper-Intelligence of Pure Love don't.

You don't see Buddhists Monks, Hindu Sadhus and hardcore acidheads gong around saying "ours is the only way. Convert or die", do you?
    They've all just been smoking the weed gan

Oh, I've experienced it myself, thanks to psychedelic stimulants. My materialism isn't absolute, but it's a policy to stop myself believing in absolute crap.

There are many theories out there, but as a wise man said, the chances of ever finding out what's really going on are so absurdly remote the only thing to do is to screw the sense of it all and keep yourself occupied.

Infinite Eternal Omniscient Omnipotent Hyper-Intelligence of Pure Love
    Love is the Law! Love under Will!

I would unpick the IEOOHIPL but I don't have time today.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    social media.

Naturally, this is accompanied by thousands of slack-jawed fúckwits going 'Wow!' and prating about how it 'really puts things into perspective'.

Does it fúck. I just find the Universe annoying. What's the point in me knowing it's really fúcking big? Most of it's empty and I'm never going to go there anyway. Besides, we're basically all still píssing about in our own Solar System, which is the equivalent of trying to understand the Pacific by paddling in a rockpool. How utterly fúcking pointless it all seems. The only thing the Universe is ever going to do for us is destroy us one of these millennia. It can fúck off.

So frankly, if it's all the same to you, I would prefer to go about my life pretending it matters and never give any thought to the fúcking Universe because it's a **** and only ****s care about it imo. Bóllocks to it.
    This is how I feel about the US. Sorry Chief is you are lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    This is how I feel about the US. Sorry Chief is you are lurking
    But at least you can actually go to the States if you want. You can't go to Alpha Centauri, so what's the point in knowing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But at least you can actually go to the States if you want. You can't go to Alpha Centauri, so what's the point in knowing about it?
    You can't if you've made a vow not to.

Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You can't if you've made a vow not to.

Ha!
    Your vow is silly.

There. I've said it.