Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: I see there's one of those 'The Universe is Really Big' videos doing the rounds on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    One of your better posts, if you don't mind me being a slightly patronising cùnt.

Consciousness is really weird, when you start thinking about it. And the more you think about it the weirder it can feel, especially if you hit that meta-self-analytical spiral. Like, maaan. Your Shiva explanation could be seductively comforting - were I not to snap out of it and remember I'm actually a hard-nosed materialist who has put childish notions of Supreme Beings behind me.
    Just out of interest, what do you say the many from myriad different cultures who have direct experience of the Divine and of the higher planes of consciousness?

You think they all just imagined it?

And if you did think that, does it not interest you that many different humans in different epochs, continents and cultures all have near identical experiences (or imaginings or hallucinations or however you choose to label their experiences)?

Are you sure you're not making the usual mistake of confusing the direct experience of Divinity with learnt religion? Just because most religious people are fückwits doesn't mean that those who've actually experienced these planes are lying.

It might also make you question why those Abrahamic religions with no concept of transcendental mysticism are the most likely to say theirs is the only way and to kill unbelievers in the name of a God of Pure Love.

While those who have direct experience of the Infinite Eternal Omniscient Omnipotent Hyper-Intelligence of Pure Love don't.

You don't see Buddhists Monks, Hindu Sadhus and hardcore acidheads gong around saying "ours is the only way. Convert or die", do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Just out of interest, what do you say the many from myriad different cultures who have direct experience of the Divine and of the higher planes of consciousness?

And if you did think that, does it not interest you that many different humans in different epochs, continents and cultures all have near identical experiences (or imaginings or hallucinations or however you choose to label their experiences)?

Are you sure you're not making the usual mistake of confusing the direct experience of Divinity with learnt religion? Just because most religious people are fückwits doesn't mean that those who've actually experienced these planes are lying.

It might also make you question why those Abrahamic religions with no concept of transcendental mysticism are the most likely to say theirs is the only way and to kill unbelievers in the name of a God of Pure Love.

While those who have direct experience of the Infinite Eternal Omniscient Omnipotent Hyper-Intelligence of Pure Love don't.

You don't see Buddhists Monks, Hindu Sadhus and hardcore acidheads gong around saying "ours is the only way. Convert or die", do you?
    They've all just been smoking the weed gan

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    No. They've just been making shít up and convincing themselves to believe that things that aren't real.

Human beings are very good at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Nah, Herbs, that's the thing.

The sadhus have been smoking chillums non-stop, I grant you.

And the acid heads have been boshing the rips.

But what about the Buddhist monks, hhhmm?

In around 1990 some mates of mine were squatting near to a Buddhist monastery just outside London and they got a load of ketamine in. The squatters, not the Buddhists.

So anyway, my mates started boshing the K, and metaphorically speaking, started stomping round the astral planes in their dirty great Doc Martins reeking of Spesh.

2 days later, the Buddhist abbot knocks on the door and comes in. He says he has no problem with them trying to understand these states of consciousness or even being hedonistic druggies. He just wants them to understand that for all his monks, getting to these states of consciousness without drugs requires a lot of hard work.

And if, when his monks get into those states, they encounter some crusty having an out of body experience, while another is wobbling in and out of the plane, moaning that he should have had a bigger line, then they find it off putting and it makes it impossible for them to meditate.

Obviously the guys and girls in the squat apologised profusely and said they'd save the rest of the K for Saturday night in a Hackney warehouse which would mean they wouldn't disturb the honest monks.

So, given this post is entirely true, how do you explain the Kayed-up crusties and the drug free monks inhabiting the same astral planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

Oh, I've experienced it myself, thanks to psychedelic stimulants. My materialism isn't absolute, but it's a policy to stop myself believing in absolute crap.

There are many theories out there, but as a wise man said, the chances of ever finding out what's really going on are so absurdly remote the only thing to do is to screw the sense of it all and keep yourself occupied.

Infinite Eternal Omniscient Omnipotent Hyper-Intelligence of Pure Love
    Love is the Law! Love under Will!

I would unpick the IEOOHIPL but I don't have time today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Oh, I've experienced it myself, thanks to psychedelic stimulants. My materialism isn't absolute, but it's a policy to stop myself believing in absolute crap.

There are many theories out there, but as a wise man said, the chances of ever finding out what's really going on are so absurdly remote the only thing to do is to screw the sense of it all and keep yourself occupied.

Love is the Law! Love under Will!

I would unpick the IEOOHIPL but I don't have time today.
    But then how do you explain the fact that Buddhists, Sadhus, drugged up crusties, druids on mushrooms etc all get to the same planes?

If it's just the drugs, explain the Buddhists?

Just just make it easier to access - as 4.5k years of Hindu sadhus will tell you. But they don't create those states, otherwise Buddhists monks wouldn't get there. They are just a short cut to opening the door.