Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So the leitmotif of most Brexopaths when explaining their loathing of the

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    She and the rest of the lizards should, as an act of mercy, be spared the fate of the Romanovs. Exile in Canada should do it, I think.
    No Ash. Every revolution demands, as its birthright, the violent death of the incumbent oppressors. Imagining the aristocracy's pitiful cries for mercy before being launched down the well helps the peasants endure their continued and unending penury.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    No Ash. Every revolution demands, as its birthright, the violent death of the incumbent oppressors. Imagining the aristocracy's pitiful cries for mercy before being launched down the well helps the peasants endure their continued and unending penury.
    Well, that and the fact that the buggers keep popping up again demanding their throne back. Don't just ask Cromwell and Lenin, ask Queen Bess herself.

EU Commission is its failure of the most fundamental test of democratic legitimacy, that of having been voted for.

The same people will doubtless then be vehemently in favour of abolition of The House of Lords.

Ash, Charlie, Berni .. what say ye?
    'Doubtless' here meaning 'not', I assume? Because that bit of whataboutery simply doesn't work. The House of Lords is wholly unfit for purpose, being packed to the rafters by patronage appointees from the political mainstream.

Also, it may have escaped your attention, h, but there are few Brexiteers with a good word to say about the passionately Europhile House of Lords.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    'Doubtless' here meaning 'not', I assume? Because that bit of whataboutery simply doesn't work. The House of Lords is wholly unfit for purpose, being packed to the rafters by patronage appointees from the political mainstream.

Also, it may have escaped your attention, h, but there are few Brexiteers with a good word to say about the passionately Europhile House of Lords.
    But despite being a bunch of appointees, it actually does a rather good job of tidying up rushed HoC legislation in the Cttee stage and also contains a far wider area of expertise than the average HoC.

Obviously no-one in their right mind wouldn't design a 2nd chamber like this, but to claim it's not fit for purpose is wrong. It hasn't delayed anything for decades but has made a huge number of positive ammendments to HoC legislation.

I doubt a neutral observer, looking at the last 3 months, would choose the HoL if the question was "Which house is the most dysfunctional?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    But despite being a bunch of appointees, it actually does a rather good job of tidying up rushed HoC legislation in the Cttee stage and also contains a far wider area of expertise than the average HoC.

Obviously no-one in their right mind wouldn't design a 2nd chamber like this, but to claim it's not fit for purpose is wrong. It hasn't delayed anything for decades but has made a huge number of positive ammendments to HoC legislation.

I doubt a neutral observer, looking at the last 3 months, would choose the HoL if the question was "Which house is the most dysfunctional?"
    The HofC is only ‘dysfunctional’ as it has to answer to an electorate. That messiness is a feature of democracy, not a bug.

By contrast, it’s quite easy to function smoothly and coherently when you have a sinecure for life and don’t have to worry about accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The HofC is only ‘dysfunctional’ as it has to answer to an electorate. That messiness is a feature of democracy, not a bug.

By contrast, it’s quite easy to function smoothly and coherently when you have a sinecure for life and don’t have to worry about accountability.
    So the HoC rushing and whipping legislation at the Ctte and Report stages between the 2nd and 3rd reading is all down to the fact that they have voters to answer to.

While the Lords actually bothering to consider things in detail and point out the errors and inconsistencies in the legislation sent to them is down to them not having electors to answer to.

Ok. Right. Sure. That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    So the HoC rushing and whipping legislation at the Ctte and Report stages between the 2nd and 3rd reading is all down to the fact that they have voters to answer to.

While the Lords actually bothering to consider things in detail and point out the errors and inconsistencies in the legislation sent to them is down to them not having electors to answer to.

Ok. Right. Sure. That makes sense.
    Errr. Yes. What's hard to grasp about that? The panic derives directly from the democratic imperative placed on MPs and their need to balance the sometimes impossible demands of voters, party, necessity and conscience.
    The calm consideration is what you see from the Lords is that of people who know they are not going to be held accountable for anything.

EU Commission is its failure of the most fundamental test of democratic legitimacy, that of having been voted for.

The same people will doubtless then be vehemently in favour of abolition of The House of Lords.

Ash, Charlie, Berni .. what say ye?
    Ooh, look at you fancy word, leitmotif. What's your Weltanschauung there Herbs.

I'm an idjit

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Ooh, look at you fancy word, leitmotif. What's your Weltanschauung there Herbs.

I'm an idjit
    Leitmotif is my favourite ever word 'east and my weltanschauung is that dumb Yanqi featherwits like you should do us all a favour and stick their heads in a mincer

Leitmotif is my favourite ever word 'east and my weltanschauung is that dumb Yanqi featherwits like you should do us all a favour and stick their heads in a mincer
    I tried it. It improved my appearance.