Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Brexit is going to ultimately get cancelled if May loses tonight, isn’t it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    The only genuine fears about the backstop are that it would reduce our negotiating leverage. No-one *actually* believes there's a remote chance of us actually ending up trapped in it - it's all just bluster.

If this were not the case, you would be right to think the DUP won't budge. But it is.
    m, I love you dearly and enjoy our chats. You’re a very bright chap generally, but sometimes I do wonder about the way you get ideas stuck in your head.
    The WHOLE POINT of the backstop is to keep us trapped in it unless we accept a permanent customs union (ie de facto EU membership).
    Someone today likened it to getting into a car with someone who has a gun in the glovebox. You ask them to get rid of the gun, they say ‘Don’t worry about the gun - I’ll never use it’
    ‘So why do you need the gun?’
    ‘Never mind the gun. Let’s just get where we’re going’
    ‘Where are we going?’
    ‘Wherever I say’
    ‘Can I get out, please?’
    ‘No. I have a gun’

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    m, I love you dearly and enjoy our chats. You’re a very bright chap generally, but sometimes I do wonder about the way you get ideas stuck in your head.
    The WHOLE POINT of the backstop is to keep us trapped in it unless we accept a permanent customs union (ie de facto EU membership).
    Someone today likened it to getting into a car with someone who has a gun in the glovebox. You ask them to get rid of the gun, they say ‘Don’t worry about the gun - I’ll never use it’
    ‘Where are we going?’
    ‘Wherever I say’
    ‘Can I get out, please?’
    ‘No. I have a gun’
    Actually, I think the risk of a permanent custom union doesn't come from the EU, it comes from a Labour government taking over the Future Relationship negotiations. To that extent, I take your point.

But that could happen even if we were granted the legal right to unilaterally exit the backstop. And so if the DUP were truly concerned about a permanent customs union, they would surely oppose Brexit in its totality on the grounds that a mere change of government could precipitate one.

‘Where are we going?’
    ‘Wherever I say’
    ‘Can I get out, please?’
    ‘No. I have a gun’
    You really think the EU would be content with a situation where we had access to the common market while having control of our borders, not having to pay them any money and with limited requirement to adhere to their laws (I believe this is only in two areas of trade)?

I'm not convinced. They're leaving themselves open to internal implosion if that state exists for too long. I agree with Monty that the backstop would not actually last if it were ever implemented and the only reason MPs are saying otherwise are political.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    You really think the EU would be content with a situation where we had access to the common market while having control of our borders, not having to pay them any money and with limited requirement to adhere to their laws (I believe this is only in two areas of trade)?

I'm not convinced. They're leaving themselves open to internal implosion if that state exists for too long. I agree with Monty that the backstop would not actually last if it were ever implemented and the only reason MPs are saying otherwise are political.
    My 2p worth...... no deal vote tonight gets defeated, tomorrow parliament votes for an extension, UK Govt go beggiung to the EU for an extension 9how long this could be is muddied by European Elections etc), the can gets kicked down the road over and over again, eventually a 2nd Ref is held with iether remain or leave under these terms xxxx... remain win and we don't leave.

Politics will never be the same again and there is a numbe rof riots in some of the areas that voted for leave.

Spurs fall apart every year for evermore, Berni and Monty carry on making out they were correct and argue every few days over Brexit.

Sir C gets the all clear but decides he doesn't like being able to smell anything so snorts large amounts of coke so his nose looks like Daniella Westbrooks.

Ramsey is a great success in Italy and wins world player of the year award 3 years running.
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

And old Herbie continues to fire it up your missus

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    And old Herbie continues to fire it up your missus
    Your daily reminder that posts that don't use the 'Reply with quote' button don't actually make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    My 2p worth...... no deal vote tonight gets defeated, tomorrow parliament votes for an extension, UK Govt go beggiung to the EU for an extension 9how long this could be is muddied by European Elections etc), the can gets kicked down the road over and over again, eventually a 2nd Ref is held with iether remain or leave under these terms xxxx... remain win and we don't leave.

Politics will never be the same again and there is a numbe rof riots in some of the areas that voted for leave.

Spurs fall apart every year for evermore, Berni and Monty carry on making out they were correct and argue every few days over Brexit.

Sir C gets the all clear but decides he doesn't like being able to smell anything so snorts large amounts of coke so his nose looks like Daniella Westbrooks.

Ramsey is a great success in Italy and wins world player of the year award 3 years running.
    I'm staying clean, man. No more hanging around in dark alleys offering £5 blow jobs to buy a rock. Not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm staying clean, man. No more hanging around in dark alleys offering £5 blow jobs to buy a rock. Not any more.
    Presumably your nose could no longer take the gak even if you wanted to?

Like I say, you can always have it blown up your fundament.

EDIT: I am not offering to do the blowing.

Presumably your nose could no longer take the gak even if you wanted to?

Like I say, you can always have it blown up your fundament.

EDIT: I am not offering to do the blowing.
    I'm more concerned that he couldn't breathe whilst blowing his clients, b. I'm guessing he was at it like a dog eating hot chips.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”