Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Talking of chicks, I read a book by one and it was alright. :nod:

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    If you'll only read a book by a bint if it's got a ghostie in it, then Wuthering Heights would count. It's also absolutely ****ing stunning. We listened to an adaptation on R4 last year and we loved it so much we kept playing the Kate Bush song for weeks.

I got her a Wuthering Heights umbrella for Xmas. It's orange, like the cover of the Penguin book.

Did you know the song was the first no.1 in the UK both written and performed by a bint? As a British feminist, it makes me proud that the spirit of Britannia connects them in this way.

I love C19th lit but while the Frogs and Ruskies have as good male authors as well do, none of them let the totty write. There's no French Brontë or Ruskie Austen.
    Wuthering Heights is turgid bóllocks. I'd rather read Jilly Cooper, at least that would give berni the horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Wuthering Heights is turgid bóllocks. I'd rather read Jilly Cooper, at least that would give berni the horn.
    I've never actually read a Jilly Cooper book, but I can't help but feel that I would struggle to become turgid if I did so, since the image of Jilly Cooper would keep appearing in my mind. And the thought of Jilly Cooper in the nip would make a steel girder flaccid.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've never actually read a Jilly Cooper book, but I can't help but feel that I would struggle to become turgid if I did so, since the image of Jilly Cooper would keep appearing in my mind. And the thought of Jilly Cooper in the nip would make a steel girder flaccid.
    She's the one with the teeth, isn't she? Writes about racehorses? Or is that the one who always wears pink? Sister of Joan Collins? Literature is hard, b, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    She's the one with the teeth, isn't she? Writes about racehorses? Or is that the one who always wears pink? Sister of Joan Collins? Literature is hard, b, isn't it?
    Well, yes it is. It's very difficult to keep track of who's who. All too easy to get your Balzac tangled up with your Dick. This is why those of us what have studied literature at a certain level are so highly regarded, y'see?
    Last edited by Burney; 01-03-2019 at 09:29 AM.

This is why those of us what have studied literature at a certain level are so highly regarded, y'see?
    When I watch University Challenge, I always roll my eyes when the wierdo says they are studying either a) English Literature or b) Classics. Do a proper subject FFS.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    When I watch University Challenge, I always roll my eyes when the wierdo says they are studying either a) English Literature or b) Classics. Do a proper subject FFS.
    But those are proper subjects. Indeed, Classics (along with theology) was literally all one was allowed to study at universities for hundreds of years.

It's a relatively recent development that universities have seen it as their business to study the rather grubby physical world rather than devote itself to higher matters and the improvement of the individual. As for ghastly things like engineering, this is what polytechnics were designed for.

But those are proper subjects. Indeed, Classics (along with theology) was literally all one was allowed to study at universities for hundreds of years.

It's a relatively recent development that universities have seen it as their business to study the rather grubby physical world rather than devote itself to higher matters and the improvement of the individual. As for ghastly things like engineering, this is what polytechnics were designed for.
    Indeed.

Anachronistic.

Greek and Roman gods, etc, is for your toilet reading
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Indeed.

Anachronistic.

Greek and Roman gods, etc, is for your toilet reading
    The proper study of man is man, iufg. That's why they're called humanities.

The proper study of man is man, iufg. That's why they're called humanities.
    It is what the pseudo-intellectuals who couldn't grasp mathematics did, istr

That and History.

It is what the pseudo-intellectuals who couldn't grasp mathematics did, istr

That and History.
    Be honest, i. By 'pseudo-intellectuals', you mean 'guys with charm, good hygiene and interpersonal skills who got chicks', don't you?