Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: So it's 14 units a week now is it?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    It's all about sales, Ash.

An interesting cultural distinction between our Yankee friends and the Brits. As freedom of the press is such a strong part of their cultural heritage there is a certain duty/honour with regard to accurate reporting that runs through the legitimate media sources i.e. not Fox news, that doesn't seem to exist in the same extent in the UK.

Certainly when I lived there it was the ultimate sin for a journo to publish something that proved to be untrue. Rather different in the UK, to say the least.
    I don't have the time to discuss this in any detail but I profoundly disagree. US media is full of unverified claims presented as truths, and errors of omission.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I don't have the time to discuss this in any detail but I profoundly disagree. US media is full of unverified claims presented as truths, and errors of omission.
    speaking of journalism

https://twitter.com/CrapLocalNews/st...60601341087744

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    It's all about sales, Ash.

An interesting cultural distinction between our Yankee friends and the Brits. As freedom of the press is such a strong part of their cultural heritage there is a certain duty/honour with regard to accurate reporting that runs through the legitimate media sources i.e. not Fox news, that doesn't seem to exist in the same extent in the UK.

Certainly when I lived there it was the ultimate sin for a journo to publish something that proved to be untrue. Rather different in the UK, to say the least.
    Yeah, that culture of petty, obsessive (and often pretty worthless) fact-checking has pretty much gone down the crapper in the US now. There just aren't the sales to support the staff to do it anymore.

You also have to bear in mind that the UK has the oldest free press in the world. Its roots are in pretty freewheeling scandal sheets and politically-partial muckraking. It doesn't have the po-faced stick up its arse the US press has. The US Press thinks it has some sort of crusading duty to eternal truth. The UK press knows it's an entertainment and tomorrow's fish wrapper.

The other interesting anomaly is that the UK has much, much stricter libel laws than exist in the US and yet the US is much more obsessed with being tediously factual. It therefore tends to see them as its guidelines rather than any more theoretical ideas about objective truth. The truth therefore tends to be not necessarily what strictly happened, but what you can get away with without m'learned friends getting involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Oh, yes. The bias and dishonesty are just as manifest. They're just accompanied by a patina of self-satisfied sanctimony and - as a result - produce some of the dreariest newspapers on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    It did re-emerge after Kelvin left.....as I'm sure you well know
    And having worked with his daughter I can assure you that such a puritan opinion on alcohol does not run in the family

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, yes. The bias and dishonesty are just as manifest. They're just accompanied by a patina of self-satisfied sanctimony and - as a result - produce some of the dreariest newspapers on earth.
    Christ yes. The US is pretty much the only place on earth that one cannot greet sunday morning with an eagerness for the papers, for they are inevitably as dull as ditchwater. Christ, the Straits Times is a laugh a minute compared to the Washington Post.

Indeed - even the Telegraph has more cheery bits in it than your average US broadsheet. (Well, once a year when A Level results are out and they can put attractive teenagers on the front page)

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Indeed - even the Telegraph has more cheery bits in it than your average US broadsheet. (Well, once a year when A Level results are out and they can put attractive teenagers on the front page)
    The Telegraph often has glamorous ladies on the front page. This infuriates my mother-in-law, who refers to them as 'those bástards', for some reason.

You have managed to be deeply pejorative about truth telling throughout

Yeah, that culture of petty, obsessive (and often pretty worthless) fact-checking

have the po-faced stick up its arse the US press has

crusading duty to eternal truth

obsessed with being tediously factual
    this post and yet no-one spits nails quite so vehemently when Comarde Jez indulges in a leetle bit air-brushing on his past transgressions.

What kind of monster are you b?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Christ yes. The US is pretty much the only place on earth that one cannot greet sunday morning with an eagerness for the papers, for they are inevitably as dull as ditchwater. Christ, the Straits Times is a laugh a minute compared to the Washington Post.
    I used to work with a crazed Scot who had worked on the Straits Times - even managing to cover the Vietnam War gig for them at one point. He liked a drink (obviously) and had some fine stories of being 'in the sh1t'.