Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looks like May's having to cave on the amendments to the trade bill.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Are you sure a soft Brexit is out of the question?

No Deal would be voted down by Parliament and the government would almost certainly be forced to ask for more time to negotiate, which the EU is likely to accept. This would force May out and would probably prompt a GE. Labour would campaign on the promise that they'll honour the referendum result by negotiating a soft Brexit.
    Had Cameron been a little less thick, he would have structured the referendum such that there was no lack of clarity as to what was being voted for. Which basically means it would have had to have been a Remain or Hard Brexit choice only.

I suspect he didn't do that because he would have been accused of setting it up in a way that didn't give the public enough flexibility in their vote but the reality is that, especially with hindsight, that was the only sensible thing to do.

I'm up for a hard Brexit now, should be great fun either way.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Had Cameron been a little less thick, he would have structured the referendum such that there was no lack of clarity as to what was being voted for. Which basically means it would have had to have been a Remain or Hard Brexit choice only.

I suspect he didn't do that because he would have been accused of setting it up in a way that didn't give the public enough flexibility in their vote but the reality is that, especially with hindsight, that was the only sensible thing to do.

I'm up for a hard Brexit now, should be great fun either way.
    Well he did do that in a sense by explicitly stating (along with Osborne, et al) that a vote to leave would be a vote to leave the single market and customs union

Are you sure a soft Brexit is out of the question?

No Deal would be voted down by Parliament and the government would almost certainly be forced to ask for more time to negotiate, which the EU is likely to accept. This would force May out and would probably prompt a GE. Labour would campaign on the promise that they'll honour the referendum result by negotiating a soft Brexit.
    A no-deal brexit (currently the most likely outcome) cannot be voted down by Parliament. It is, by its nature, not a deal and therefore cannot be voted on.

You could make that argument about literally any conceivable vote ever, even something as seemingly binary as for or against the death pelanty.

After all it’s highly unlikely “ordinary people” would truly understand the moral and ethical complexities behind the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Well, if you talk to ordinary people a lot of them will have no clue what any of that means so, in answer to your question, every part.

Those are two things. It is sooo much more complicated than that.
    Last edited by Monty92; 07-17-2018 at 09:18 AM.

You could make that argument about literally any conceivable vote ever, even something as seemingly binary as for or against the death pelanty.

After all it’s highly unlikely “ordinary people” would truly understand the moral and ethical complexities behind the issue.
    That example shows you really don't understand what is going on here. Ok, the rest of us don't either but we are self aware enough to know it.

Ok but while there remains the possibility of a GE before March 19 a soft Brexit can’t be ruled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    A no-deal brexit (currently the most likely outcome) cannot be voted down by Parliament. It is, by its nature, not a deal and therefore cannot be voted on.

Ok but while there remains the possibility of a GE before March 19 a soft Brexit can’t be ruled out.
    Who's going to force a general election? The Tory remainers don't have the numbers and the ERG is currently in control of the party and has no interest in pushing for one.

I'm not ruling it out, but it's far from the most likely scenario. May would literally have to decide to take the entire party down in flames for it to happen - and she doesn't strike me as being that bold.